427 small block specs? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Question 427 small block specs?

Ok I found a place in Auburn, WA that will do all the machine work on my block. The problem is they have about a 9 month waiting list for their engine guru to get time to build the engine. After talking with them I also came to the realization that they are VERY expensive. I have no problem having them machine the block and balance it but I have checked and can get the parts alot cheaper else where. What I want to do is build a very stout, RELIABLE, pump gas 427 small block. What I need is some specs. What crank, what rods (length) Which pistons and also which heads? I have a World aluminum 400 mains block, and I will also run aluminum heads. Also on the heads I need combustion size. Also which cam? I plan on running a hyd roller. I dont plan on going over 6000-6500 rpm. Thanks alot!!
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 05, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: 427 small block specs?

Summit will sell you the entire bottom end that World Products puts in their big inch small blocks. Has everything you need. If you don't like their price or products, I would at least call their tech line to get the specs. You can also try Sharfiroff Racing Engines, they build big inch small blocks too.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks I thought of that but World uses Eagle parts and I'm not a big fan of chinese steel.

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 07:50 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Buddy with Nova running an Eagle 383 kit (balanced) and spins to 7000+ regularly at the track.
I hate the off shore stuff too, but who you gonna go with anymore ? Lots of stuff made off shore and stamped or finished here.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 08:57 AM

Jesus, if 427 is considered a small block, wtf is a big block?!?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

By todays standards yes a 427 is a small block. Big blocks are getting huge. 500+ cubic inches are the norm for most. I heard a guy talking about his new 813ci engine the other day (I believe he said 813, it was 8 something). 555ci engines are all over the place.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 10:20 AM
____

Garage

Biggest small block I've see advertised was a 472ci (I thought it was a typo) I am looking now for it. Post info when I find.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor

Last edited by DOUG G; Sep 22nd, 05 at 10:32 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Doug,
Yes, there is a 472ci small block. Several places sell them. I believe Ohio Crank has one www.ohiocrank.com

I don't want to hijack the thread.

Mike,
Any performance machine shop should be able to do the job. It is not rocket science. Your best bet is to go to the local drag strip and ask people who they use. As far as the over seas parts, some are great and some are junk. It really depends (much like stuff made here). It's not the steel that's the problem it's the machining after the part is made. Once again a good machine shop will measure everything or if you build it yourself you "need" to measure everything to be sure it's all in spec. I have never had an issue with an overseas crank, sometimes they can be a bit on the tight side (slightly larger journals) which means either an over sized bearing or machining the crank. If budget is not a problem then go buy a Callies, Lunati or Cola. If budget is a major factor you have to try to stretch your dollar. What do you plan on using this engine for? If it is a street car, you will never hurt a "cheap" crank. In that case buying a high dollar crank will only be good for bragging rights, it's not going ot give you anything else.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: 427 small block specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G
Biggest small block I've see advertised was a 472ci ...
Sure - but, not with a 'stock' block... which is the 'flavor' of this thread (isn't it???).
Anything that 'big' would require a relocated cam and other mods.
You would have to start with aomething like one of the Dart Tall Block castings to go that large.

Check Speed-O-Motive - they just finshed a 450(+) motor for a friend. Haven't heard it run - but it should be a beast...
'Speed-O' builds lots of "HUGE" 'Small Blocks'

Mike - you could also check out Speed-O-Motive for a build. Their turn-time should be better.

John

Royce types faster than me

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 11:14 AM
____

Garage

Mike does have an aluminum aftermarket block and sorry if I got away from the topic at hand. I was only pointing out that small blocks have grown huge.

here's the 472 BTW http://www.speedomotive.com/shafirof...2-635%20hp.htm

This from Bill Mitchell.

http://www.theengineshop.com/sbkits3.shtml

From Speed-o-motive

415 kit http://www.speedomotive.com/500_hp_maxi_mouse.htm

http://www.speedomotive.com/CHEVY%20STROKER%20CRANK%20KITS.htm didn't see a 427 kit just 415 or 421 kits.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor

Last edited by DOUG G; Sep 22nd, 05 at 04:42 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 06:37 PM
____

Garage

And now I see a 481ci ? Holly Cow !

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

That's the first I heard of a 481ci small block. Where did you see that? The only problem with the huge small blocks (460+ ci) is that the block is already max'd out. What happens when it's time for a rebiuld? I guess if it's an aluminum block you just re-sleeve it.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Mail ordering an engine is a gamble. Probably cheaper in the long run to have someone local do it.....

Go to the drags or other races, ask some of the fast people what shops they like. Some of them might own their own shops. Clean and organized shops are a plus.

Doesn't sound like you are too worried about price. Aluminum block, big heads, American steel crank.... What's your ET goal?

67 Camaro [email protected], [email protected], 1.455 60ft 421sbc
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs

Try this page out. How to build a 427 cid SBC!

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1004/

Tim

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 07:38 PM

Smile Re: 427 small block specs?

There is an old mag. article about a 504" SB that, (I think?), Shafiroff made.

They said he said it ran fine EXCEPT he said he couldn't get enough head on it like the BB motors can run b/c he thought the power was down due to too small of intake ports.

I think he used SOTA SB wedge heads AND not 18 degree, 10 degree Buick, SB2.2 or "splayed valve, mini-BB" type heads so don't know if they would have helped the top end charge better or not.

AND he also said he figured 504" was just about the biggest a SB could be made..

A 4.25" b x 4.44" s = 504" motor.

And I think again that a 604" is about as big a standard deck height BB that you can make..

A 4.625" b x 4.50" s = 604" motor.

I would love to make a 4.625" x 4.375" = 588" motor using custom 6.45" long rods and a standard height block for MAX. stealth!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode