Harmonic Balancer ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Harmonic Balancer ???

I just got My 327-275 HP 68 Camaro running and the carb needs a little rebuilding,its an Edelbrock of coarse but the ? I have is ,I took the car up the local Vocational School to see if the teacher could adjust the carb and set the timing on it,but he told me that it had the wrong balancer on it,he said it looked like a 350 balancer,it's about one and 1/16 inch thick and about 6,or 6and 1/2 inch in diameter.When he put the light on it he had to retard the light so much that he just barley could see the mark on the balancer.I just put a new Mallory Unalite Distributor In it and I Timed it by bringing it up on compression until it blew my finger off the number one cylinder and then taking the belt by hand and turning it to the "O" mark on the tab and lining up the mark on the balancer,Is there that much of a difference between the 327 balancer and the 350 balancer , if so do they make a timing tape that you can put on the 350 balancer so you can time the thing accuratley or am I going to have to get a 327 balancer and change all my pulleys,,,,any help would be appreciated Thanks Camaro BOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Harmonic Balancer ???

A 350 h/bal is thicker, 1-1 1/16" on the rim than a 327, 3/4 inch. The width is determined by the crankshaft and its rotating mass. A 350 has more mass inside the crankcase, hence, the thicker h/bal.

Also, year application is different. 68 & older have the timing mark offset from the keyway than a 69 or newer, they are closer in-line. Checking pictures, they have been posted by JohnZ in this section, will confirm this.

The hub the pulleys bolt upon, are the same height among both, so replacement pulleys, I don't think, will be needed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Harmonic Balancer ???

The larger balancer is better for your engine, is what my engine builder says.
Are you sure the balancer you have is not larger in diameter ? The difference in timing marks is only about 10 degrees. The 305 has a balancer with the mark at 12 o'clock. Find TDC on your #1 cylinder and note where the timing mark is. Use a "dial back" timing light and set your total timing to 36* using the new mark.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 06:34 PM
Team Member
John

Pre-'69 balancers have the timing index line on the balancer exactly in line with the keyway and pulley bolt hole in the hub, '69-up balancers have the line about 9* counter-clockwise from there (with the "0" mark on the tab on the timing cover moved the same amount). Whatever balancer you use should have the index line in line with the keyway (assuming you have a '68 timing cover on it).

JohnZ
CRG
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 05, 02:55 PM
Ray

Send a message via AIM to GogglesPisano Send a message via MSN to GogglesPisano

Anyone have balancer P/N's for '67 through '69 handy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode