Help with exhaust choice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
ET

Help with exhaust choice

1968 Z/28, stock manifolds, real 302...

Basically I want a "stock" system. It doesn't have to be technically correct (the first person to bend over and look for factory markings on the exhaust gets a kick in the pants), but I want the transverse muffler and it should exit as per the factory. It needs to bolt-up to the stock manifolds.

Here's the issue. I don't know what a true stock Z/28 exhaust sounds like... you know from the factory as delivered. Anybody out there old enough and still of sound mind to remember its sound. I'm just looking for a light rumble. In other words, it needs to be "drive-throughable"... not so loud at idle that you can't go through a drive-through window without yelling. Would a "repro" factory system be too quiet? Any thoughts? I don't want to drop $300-600 and not be happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Help with exhaust choice

I put a repro dual system on my 68 with 327 and headers. It sounded nice, if a little "blatty/raspy" at mid-throttle under load. It would have a completely different tone through the manifolds, I suspect.

I really doubt you're going to get what you want in an off the shelf system. The Flowmaster with transverse muffler (17104??) is pretty liveable. I have a buddy with that system on his 68 350 vert, and it's pretty much just right in terms of noise/tone. But, that system is made to work with headers, so you'd have to fabricate the head pipes.

Pypes has some decent systems, but the headpipes are separate, so in my mind that's just one more joint to leak.

My guess is you're going to have to get the repro system and be happy with whatever "rumble" it makes, unless you want to get repro pipes and try to fit them to an aftermarket transverse muffler. I think that's what I may end up doing on the 69, because I'm in the same boat. Big block with manifolds, want a transverse muffler, stock pipe routing, but not too quiet.

So, I guess I can tack on/hi jack the thread wondering what an SS396 through a factory system sounded like...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I think Pypes Exhaust offers a stock style transverse setup that is larger size than stock. This should offer better performance but still look pretty correct. It looks like you might need to get the muffler separately which is a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler.

Pypes Crossflow System

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech

Yeah Jeff, that's the Pypes system I was talking about. They do offer the manifold head pipes as separate pieces, so instead of one pipe from the manifold back to the overaxle pipes, you have two pieces clamped or welded together.

Eric
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
ET

Most folks say to weld the system after install. Is it necessary? Will it leak bad if I don't?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech

Maybe. I don't like to weld them, because I like to able to remove the different pieces. I use stainless steel band clamps, because they grip all the way around and don't crimp the pipes like U-clamps do. The band clamps are more expensive at around $8.50 each from Summit, but once you use them you can never go back.

Eric
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 10:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I bought my complete stock tranvserse system from Rick's and it bolted right in place with the factory style clamps. I put it in by myself. I like the sound it makes also, not too loud and not too quiet. That classic muscle car sound is what I would call it.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 05, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
ET

Anyone know what the stock pipe diameter is? I noticed sizes like 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2" and 3" available.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 12:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cal

I recently replaced the 40 series Flowmasters on my 68 Z28 with the transverse muffler replacement that Flowmaster manufactures. It required some minor pipe fabrication by the muffler shop but the fit was better than average overall. I have retained the cast manifolds, the car sounds great now and has the deep throaty rumble I was looking for. Getting rid of the 40 series mufflers cleaned up the underside of the car big time.
I can still remember the first Z28 I saw (which happened to be a 68), when I was an impressionable 16 year old. The sound of that car all those years ago left such an impression that I knew some day I would own one. It took me 27 years but I finally found and bought the car of my dreams.
Chevrolet advertised the 68 Z28 as the "Closest thing to a Corvett yet". Part of the ad states; "Dual exhausts with 2 1/4 diameter pipes and deep tone mufflers" I don't know where they got the "mufflers" from because it has one transverse unit. Go figure.

1966 L72 2 door post Biscayne bench seat M21 4.10, 16K miles
1968 Z28 RS cowl plenum M21 3.73, fresh 302MO stored 450hp 355/Tremec TKO
1970 SS350 Nova daily driver bench seat M21 replaced with a Tremec TKO
1949 Meteor Pro Street 468/4L80E
1955 Chevy Gasser BBC M22 410's
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
ET

Does the "Rick's" system come with down pipes from the manifolds or is it for headers?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 05, 10:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Ricks system that I have was made for original exhaust manifols and was a perfect bolt in system.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
ET

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'll probably go with the Rick's setup. I live about 1-1/2 hours from them, so I could drive over and save on shipping. Thanks again!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

When I ordered my 69 Z in '68, there were two muffler choices.. The stock and the Low restriction, on the order sheet,.. I got the low restriction. The sound was like a stock same year fuelie vette. No rumble and you can hear radio over the 3500 rpm cruising. I don't think that muffler is available thru GM or there may be only one choice now.. I think that Walker still makes the stock transverse but in small pipe sizes. For this reason I went to Flomaster 17104K Kit and it was very raspy, not deep tone as I was accustomed to. So to make it deep tone raspy... I installed two 12" glass round glass pack tubes under the seat area before it goes to the Flomaster transverse. Sounds just as it did some 35 years ago. And I can still hear the radio cruising.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You might also want to look over www.gardnerexhaust.com

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 04:46 PM

Anybody out there old enough and still of sound mind to remember its sound!!!

all you old fogies seeing this, Not to start trouble or nothing but. I had a 69 z with the 302 when I was 18 , all original!!! Im only 40. Go with a nice 2.5 inch flowmaster it wont rumble too much and sounds like a jet when you hit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode