Newb (dumbass) question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry Newb (dumbass) question

Ok so your going to laugh at me, yeah I should have known better and looked at it better but I'm new and the body is in great condition.

I mistakenly bought a 89 camero IROC (automatic), when my other is an 89 (5-speed).

I have a brand new standard motor and trani, I need to know if there is any way to use it in the new car without having to repace both to (auto)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Newb (dumbass) question

so, what you're saying is that the old one is supposed to be a parts car for the new one?
if so, swap all the manual trans stuff (pedals, console etc) into the car.
and welcome.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:01 PM

throw them both away and get into the real CAMAROS!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:18 PM

Smile Re: Newb (dumbass) question

Oh, come-on!!

He's trying to ask for some advice here AND he has a CAMARO..

pdq67

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 04:36 PM

Thumbs up Re: Newb (dumbass) question

Your right , I appologize. Sorry.
Just learn to spell Camaro correctly, all other spelling is forgiven. You also might have a problem with the computer configurations,no? I'm not sure but I would check with a chevy dealer garage for that. Still try to get to drive one of the old ones. If you live close to me/ northampton county PA/ I'll let you drive mine, Hell my wife doesnt get that treatment. Love to see the fast and delerious crowd get into the old style cars. THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSING!!!!
Thank you
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy67
Your right , I appologize. Sorry.
Just learn to spell Camaro correctly, all other spelling is forgiven. You also might have a problem with the computer configurations,no? I'm not sure but I would check with a chevy dealer garage for that. Still try to get to drive one of the old ones. If you live close to me/ northampton county PA/ I'll let you drive mine, Hell my wife doesnt get that treatment. Love to see the fast and delerious crowd get into the old style cars. THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSING!!!!
Thank you
I know how you feel, I am sadly in the fast and delerious generation. But thanks to wise parents and family my interest is in muscle not ricers. We are starting our first restoration once we finish the house we are building (which is about 90% complete), we are going to start work on my uncles 1968 Camaro, once done with that I get to pick my own project car, still not too sure on what body/frame to use, but I know a V8 will be powering it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
kris

Send a message via AIM to kristofer

welcome.......

any camaro is better than rice in my book....even late 2nd and all 3rd gen smoggers

i have had 3 camaros, and i want a 5th gen now!!!!!!!!

1968 CamaroCorvette Bronze 396 TKO-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 Camaro Type LT 99% original
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 FLSTFI 15th anniversary Fatboy Softail.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

I believe the 5spd only came with the 5.0 liter or 305 and you could get the auto on either the 350 or 305. What engine came in the 89? If it was the 350, I think you will have to use the auto.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 09:19 AM

Smile Re: Newb (dumbass) question

You do know that the GM 5-speed won't hold up behind a 350 motor, b/c it flat isn't strong enough, don't you??

That's why it was never offered behind anything bigger than the 305.

pdq67

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Newb (dumbass) question

First of all you all asume I am a guy..... well im not! (THINKS LUCKYBEAR should have given it away) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Secondly, A drunk hit my standard 305 5 speed, and my father trying to help, bought a body for 25$ from a friend. It turns out to be automatic.

My question was can I take my 305 from my first car and put it in the 2nd? Before the wreak I had just put a new trani, clutch and engine in it. I dont know that much about swapping engine's, but I have an argument with my dad about needing to lengthen the drive-train, as a automatic is front wheel drive and a standard is real wheel....

Thanks for the help,

Rahjah
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

Rah,
I'm not sure if you're messing with us or if someone is messing with you; but, all the '89 (or any other year) Camaros I've seen are rear wheel drive regardless of transmission. Outside of the trans not being strong enough for the 350 it should be a relatively easy change over as stated above with the parts from the wrecked car.

Are you sure both cars are Camaros?

00 Berger SS Conv 375HP /69 Conv. SS 454 T10
67 GTO Conv. 400 POP /68 Conv. RS/SS 396 4spd
67 Conv. RS/SS Clone 396 TH400
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 03:50 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Every Camaro ever made is a rear wheel drive car.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Alex

No big deal. Just swap the best stuff to the best car. They are really the same car. Choose what you like, auto or stick! Yeah, the stick will most likely not hold up to a beating! But if your going with the 305? I wouldn't worry too much. If the IROC already is a runner? Just take stuff you need off the other car. Good luck. Irocs look much better anyway!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, LuckyBear, to the Club !! Lots of good people here ang good info, even for Psych 101.

You have an excellent opportunity to get back onto the road, as others have suggested here. Manual - automatic, everything will interchange.

As novederrick and others suggested, start the transfer into the better 89 body with the broken 89's drivetrain, pedals and all. You've invested money into a new clutch system and tranmission, might as well use it.

Save the automatic trans, rear axle, engine, wire harness, radiator, and ECM for later transplant from the broken one, plus any other item you may want to or think it might break for later usage.

And remember, the only dumbass question is the one not asked. Buy a Haynes manual for the car from most any auto parts store and read up. It will be a valuable tool and answer alot of questions. IROCS do look better.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Newb (dumbass) question

Thanks for the help. Like I said I didnt know that much about cars till I started working with this one. I really love my cam....

I will start working to get the (unbroken) one running. And post pictures or tell you all about it when im done.

(lol and all this time I thought my dad knew something about cars, Im going to kill him for making me look like a dumbass with the drive tran comment)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode