what part is this? newbie ques. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

what part is this? newbie ques.

OK The engine is back from the rebuilder and i need to attach the new oil pump. When I removed the old one, two rods fell out. One obviously extends from the oil pump to the distributor shaft so there is a direct connection . The other is a solid shaft with the same diameter as the oil pump shaft 1/2" x 5 3/4". What the heck is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: what part is this? newbie ques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_g
OK The engine is back from the rebuilder and i need to attach the new oil pump. When I removed the old one, two rods fell out. One obviously extends from the oil pump to the distributor shaft so there is a direct connection . The other is a solid shaft with the same diameter as the oil pump shaft 1/2" x 5 3/4". What the heck is it?

There's only a couple rods I know of that are about that size. The first is the oil pump driveshaft as you said. It will have a slot in the ends to catch the pump and distributor. The fuel pump pushrod is likely the second one. About that size, smooth and flat at each end, goes beteen the mechanical fuel pump (if used) and the camshaft.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I was curious about the fuel pump pushrod because i didn't see one when I installed the new fuel pump. I didn't really know what I was supposed to see anyway. If this rod is for the fuel pump does it just slide into a shaft and bump up against the cam?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 01:53 PM

Yes. it can be a pain in the rump to get the pump on and the rod to stay in position for the pump arm to go behind it. Just use a screwdriver to hold it up against the cam and put the pump in . you may have to turn the engine a little bit to give your self max room.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
John Fivian

There is actually a threaded hole on the face of the block, down at the bottom, that opens up to the fuel pump rod. Push the pump rod up (may have to turn the engine over till the cam lobe allows the rod to go up high enough) then insert a bolt into the hole. Tighten it down so it snugs up agains the side of the fuel pump rod, and the bolt will hold the rod in the up position. Then install the fuel pump. Dont forget to remove the bolt and replace it with a shorter one, that when tight, WILL NOT contact the fuel pump rod..... or just use a screw driver lol.

John Fivian
68 327
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:20 PM

Smile Re: what part is this? newbie ques.

It's also one of the old front motor mount holes from the Tri-5 motor days..

pdq67

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Be aware that some blocks don't have this little threaded hole tapped all the way ,, when trying to hold that fuel pump push rod. I found this out the wrong way and kept tightening that little bolt until it twisted off... Lucky me it was a soft bolt. So I pulled everything and drilled and tapped... Fool me once.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

It was the fuel pump push rod. I had noticed that bolt in the front of the block that didn't seem to have a purpose but it goes straight thru to the push rod. Thanks all!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 05, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech

Talking Re: what part is this? newbie ques.

I had a block that didn't have the access bolt hole in the front, I ended up coating the push rod with a mess of good ol' sticky bearing grease, and shoved it up in there, and it stayed put!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode