69 350 Tuning Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 350 Tuning Questions

I have a 69 coupe with a 350. The previous owner had done all sorts of stuff to the car, so I'm dealing with a hand me down and little documentation.

It's got an edelbrock carb (not sure what CFM) w/ an electric choke, sitting ontop of a victor jr intake. Stock heads with regular stamped rockers. That's all I can tell from taking things apart. I was told it was 10.5 : 1 compression. Dont know anything about the cam. I'm guessing it's something more than stock, the guy seemed like he was going more of a strip car, I found it odd that it had the victor intake. It also had AIR shocks in the rear and traction bars. Perhaps the cam is kind of radical, though I cant tell.

It actualy starts up and runs more or less fine, but I cant see to get it tuned right. In order to get it to idle I have to have the base timing at about 14 degrees. Anything less starts to idle real rough once I hit about 10 it'll stall. I put in all new plugs and wires. It's HEI as well. It seems to have OK throttle response. If in neutral and I floor it, it'll go up ok, when it comes back down, it'll kind of stumble and then regain it'self. If I floor it and let out the clutch it will start to squeel the tires and then bog down. It doesnt seem to like being under load. Though if I drive it normaly it's fine. It seems like once I get it out of the low RPMS it's fine.

I tried to adjust the idle mixture, It seems to be on the rich side. I pulled a plug and it's black. though both screws are about 1 turn out of total IN. It'll idle like crap with it any less.

I know its a long one, but it seems even though I've read a million posts about such things, everyone's problem is just alittle different. I wanted to check if you guys had any ideas.

Thanks Guys,
-AS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 69 350 Tuning Questions

Your carb will most likely be an Edelbrock #1406. It's basically a carter AFB, with a non adjustable air valve secondary and electric choke. There's a manual and a tuning guide you can download from Edelbrock, they also sell a tuning kit for it with a selection of jets, metering rods, and stepup springs, if you need to go into it.

One came with my 68 vert. I hated it till I got to know it, but I like it now, it's a good carb when properly tuned.

"performance engines" like a lot of advance, especially at low rpm's. At the same time, you need to make sure it doesn't "ping" under part throttle, low rpm, high load conditions, and doesn't have too much advance at high rpm.

I wouldn't worry bout 14 degrees, not at all. Mine likes 18 initial, plus another 18 vacuam, runs great. Try your vacaum advance on "full" manifold vacaum rather than "ported", that will probably help low rpm power and reduce any tendency to ping at part throttle.

With an HEI, you really need to verify that your total timing is not "excessive". These distributors came on smog motors, set up with almost no initial advance and a long slow mechanical curve. If the previous owner didn't limit the total timing, you'll have too much. You can get "recurve kits" to set the amount and rate of mechanical advance. My "mild to moderate" 327 is happy with 18 degrees mechanical (36 total) in at 3500 rpm.

It's too bad you don't have the cam info, but you can at least get an idea once you see where the engine wants to be tuned, and how much vacaum it will pull at idle, as well as what speed it will idle at. My comp 270H pulls 14 inches of vacaum, with a fairly smooth idle at 850 rpm. A stock Z28, with a much more radical cam, might pull 8 inches of vacaum at a 1000 rpm idle, and sound pretty lumpy.

I would think a victor jr would be pretty mismatched on an engine that wasn't, at least, more radical than a Z28, and with better than stock heads.

Do some tuning, and get us some more info. Leave the burnouts for later. Any idea what the rear gear ratio is?

Off the top of my head, I think you may benefit from a different intake, a perf rpm or similar, but let us know how she responds to tuning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 05:19 PM
Guess

Jim, can you recommend a recurve kit for those distributors? I'm in the same boat.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I like this Accell kit, it even includes an adjustable vacaum can, along with wieghts, bushings, and springs, for $18. Summit # is acc-31041

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 09:14 PM
Guess

Excellent.... thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode