Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Gambitt
Vortec intake gasket question

I am putting my first set of vortec heads on an engine. I am just about ready to place the intake. The question I have is this...the gaskets I have are felpro, and they are just standard felt...should some type of sealer be used on these, or should I just toss them aside and buy a better gasket that requires no sealer? Thanks in advance for the help.

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: Vortec intake gasket question

I used what the general made. They are plastic with a rubber seal. I think they work better, but that is just me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 05, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Bill Miller

I used those gaskets on my 97 pickup with votecs before the new style gasket came out. that was 4 years ago and there have been no problems with it. I did use spray tach on both sides of the gasket on the felt ones. The new style gaskets are much better I think I would go with them now. I was unsure of the felt ones to but at the time I figured they could not possibly be any worse than the first facktory ones.

1969 RS convertible 327 1981 Z28 original unrestored
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 05:43 AM
Bill

Gambit,
Are you sure the gaskets you have are for Vortec engines ? The original Vortec gaskets, both oem and Fel-Pro, were plastic with rubber inserts. The new Fel-Pro gasket, part number MS98000T is metal with a rubber coating and is really nice. I have never seen a "felt" vortec intake gasket ???

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Yeah, it's a vortec gasket. I ordered it from Jegs. I am not sure what type of material it is, it just looks like a thick dark grey paper type material. I would have preferred the fel-pro gasket with the rubber on it, but they didn't show it in their catalog. One more question about this setup...what type of spark plug should be used with the vortec heads?

I just looked that MS98000T gasket up. It runs like $79.00. I will use the $20.00 dollar gasket I have before I pay 79 for an intake gasket.

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:

Last edited by Gambitt; Sep 26th, 05 at 08:25 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 10:30 AM
Bill

Gambitt,
The Vortec engines are known for intake leaks filling the engine full of water and killing it. That is why Fel-Pro came out with the new design gasket. Most shops I do work for will not put any other gasket, including the GM one, on those engines. Dont come crying when the $20 gasket kills your $$$$$ engine

You get what you pay for.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Bill,

Yeah, I was afraid you would say something like that And I agree...you shouldn't skimp on a high dollar engine. I had heard good things about the GM gasket...I didn't know that it was having problems too...well, I might have to spend the extra bucks then...Thanks for the info...guess I can always take out a loan

Bill, I found one locally for $60.00, that's bad enough...but maybe I won't die now

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:

Last edited by Gambitt; Sep 26th, 05 at 04:31 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

I had a GM gasket fail on my '97 truck and it started leaking water. It didn't "kill it". I replaced it with another GM gasket about 80,000 miles ago and have not had a problem since. When they leak they tend to leak at the rear of the motor for what ever reason.

The $79 you quoted may be for the entire factory intake manifold gasket set. The factory intake on a Vortec engine is a two piece unit (thus multiple gaskets) and the whole set is a little pricey. Make sure you have the right part number. I would check with a GM dealer for the right part number.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 06:51 PM
Bill

The $79 is for the Fel-Pro new style intake set. It includes one valve cover gasket and whatever else you need to do the job. I sell them for around $68

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Waldorf Md

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Yeah, I picked one up this evening. It would be nice if fel-pro would just sell the intake gaskets and not all that other stuff, for those of us using after-market parts. I will put them on one night this week and let you know what I think. Thanks for the info all.

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Felpro #1255 is an old style felt gasket material gasket with the Vortec and standard bolt patterns.They are for the new Bowtie Vortecs with both bolt patterns.They are about twice as thick compared to standard gaskets.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

What sparkplug should be used with these heads? Thanks.

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

We run Autolite 104s.http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp a link to the #1255 gaskets.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

Last edited by 67 Plum; Sep 26th, 05 at 09:07 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

got my new style fel-pro intake gaskets at advance auto parts for under $30.i can post part #s later.they are a good bit larger than stock intake ports,but they are the re-usable type.
Eric B

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

So is the other number because it is a whole kit for a newer model vehicle? If so, I gotta return this whole 65 dollar package and get just the intake gasket.

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode