BB Starter Swap Help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

BB Starter Swap Help

Hey everyone,
I recently purchased a mini racing starter with gear reduction. The description said it would fit 396 applications. I am now finding out that my application requires a special cast iron nose. The new starter has an aluminum nose. The description of the new starter said it was a high output PG260M that replaces the 10MT starter. The description of the new starter gave Delco OEM reference #'s of 9000786, 9000860, 9000899. My question is can I swap the nose from my original starter to this new one or buy just the nose piece at a local auto parts store. I don't want to go through the hastle of returning this thing. I have a 68 SS 396/325. It has the stagared bolt pattern with a 9 tooth gear on the starter. I am assuming it is the larger 168 tooth flywheel because of the stagared pattern? If I can't swap the noses out can anyone suggest a similar starter that will work for me? Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 05, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Alex

Re: BB Starter Swap Help

I am assuming it's a starter with a factory style looking nose? You don't need a cast iron nose. There are only two different bolt pattens. Most mini starters work with both. But some reduction starters have two different nose cones like the factory starters. If it doesn't line up, you should be able to swap the nose cone.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

I was afraid I would be breaking noses left and right, but that is not the case? I have already bolted the starter up and everything looks good. I will try the clearance test with a paper clip tonight. I guess I am just confused as to why my particular application required a cast iron nose to begin with. Thanks,
Dan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Okay,
I went to check the clearance on the gears and noticed that the 9 tooth on the original starter was a smaller diameter than the new high torque mini starter's 11 tooth. So this starter is a no go. Please help me find a mini starter to solve my hot starting issues! The original starter has a part number of 1998574. Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode