I'M A DUMB AS I striped at oil press switch on a 305 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I'M A DUMB AS I striped at oil press switch on a 305

I'M a dumb *** and have managed to strip the threads on the oil pressure switch above the filter housing. Can't get the 1/4 18 npt tap to bite, has anyone drilled and installed a heli- coil with the engine in the car. If so i'm having trouble finding the Heli- coil. Any help is good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I'M A DUMB AS I striped at oil press switch on a 305

I doubt a helicoil will work for that. Helicoils are made for straight threads used to fasten hardware. Your oil pressure sender is pipe thread and meant to seal against pressure.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I'M A DUMB AS I striped at oil press switch on a 305

Any chance you could get a nipple with more threads to reach past the damaged threads and tighten? If you could you could use an elbow or coupler to connect to a new sending unit. I would use teflon tape and don't overtighten.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: I'M A DUMB AS I striped at oil press switch on a 305

The Heli-Coil set you need is #5407-2 for 1/8"-27 NPT.
The good news is they do make NPT thread repair kits... the bad news is they are very expensive.
I have just 2 sizes in the shop and each 'kit' was over $150. ea.
Stripping the threads on these fittings is not all that uncommon. When installing hard steel senders in a soft cast block the threads will often become galled and then fail the next time someone services the sender.

As others have said, try chasing the threads slightly with a good NPT tap and then reinserting the sender to see if you can get some good thread contact.
You may also want to try increasing the amount of threads on the sender itself by using a NPT Die and making the threaded section a little longer.
Another option would be to chase the original hole threads as best you can with an NPT tap and then using a pipe plug with Loc-Tite on it to plug this hole and using another Oil pressure source such as the one in the front of most blocks.

After using any of the tapping methods, I would recommend you remove the coil wire and crank the engine over a few turns to build some pressure to blow out the pieces. I know this sounds 'messy' but, it can be done with minmal mess if you cover the area with some rags and be ready with a drip-pan to catch the drips.
You definitly don't want stuff getting back into the oil passages...

Hope some of this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode