Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Gambitt
Need engine timing basics

I am getting ready to start my engine soon and would like some info on timing. I would like to hear a few peoples idea of the best way to time the engine for the initial first crank. I looked around and have not found any really good information on this. Thanks.

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 05, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Need engine timing basics

Here's the sure fire method for cranking her up for the first time.

1) Rotate the crank by hand until the harmonic timing indicator is dialed in at 6-8 degrees advanced. Make sure the compression stroke was just complete (or more accurately, "almost" completed). If you're not sure, you'll have to pull the driver's side valve cover and watch for the closing of the number one intake valve.

2) Pull the number one plug wire off the spark plug. Then install an old (but working) spark plug in the number one wire boot.

3) Make sure your rotor in the distributor is pointed toward the number one plug wire, or at least close.

4) Loosen the distributor tie down bolt

5) Turn the ignition key to the 'on' position.

6) Ground the old spark plug to engine somewhere,..away from the carb (obviously)

7) Rotate the distributor back and forth in your other hand while you look for a spark from the grounded spark plug. You're trying to pass the number one terminal on the distributor cap past the rotor tip to locate it's positon.

8) Position and maintain the distributor in the position where the spark is achieved

9) Turn the ignition key to 'off' (it shouldn't stay in the 'on' position for longer than a minute, but this method takes about 20 seconds).

10) Tighten the distributor tie down bolt and re-attach the number one plug wire to the plug.

Assuming the fuel supply is good to go, she'll fire right up,.. which is good for engine break-in.

Good luck!

Last edited by Straight-line-69; Sep 28th, 05 at 02:10 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69

1) Rotate the crank by hand until the harmonic timing indicator is dialed in at 6-8 degrees advanced. Make sure the compression stroke was just completed. If you're not sure, you'll have to pull the driver's side valve cover and watch for the closing of the number one intake valve.

2) Pull the number one plug wire off the spark plug. Then install an old (but working) spark plug in the number one wire boot.

3) Make sure your rotor in the distributor is pointed toward the number one plug wire, or at least close.

5) Turn the ignition key to the 'on' postion.

6) Ground the old spark plug to engine somewhere,..away from the carb (obviously)

7) Rotate the distributor back and forth in your other hand while you look for a spark from the plug. You're trying to pass the number one terminal on the distributor cap past the rotor tip to locate it's positon.

8) Position and maintain the distributor in the position where the spark is achieved

9) Turn the ignition key to 'off' (it's shouldn't stay in the 'on' position for longer than a minute, but this method takes about 20 seconds).

10) Tighten the distributor tie down bolt

Assuming the fuel supply is good to go, she'll fire right up,.. which is good for engine break-in.

Good luck!
I use the same up to Step 5
Step 6 Turn ON and place AM radio next to distributor.
Step 7 same except turn in CCW direction
Step 8 When "snap" or "static" is heard, stop rotation.
Step 9 Tighten dist holddown bolt.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed.

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The only thing I could add to this is, it will go a lot smoother if you have a helper to turn the key for you. That way, you'll be under the hood, ready to do any adjustments that might be needed. Also preset the idle screw to roughly the second step on the fast idle cam (put the choke on manually, then screw in the curb idle until it touches the linkage to hold it there)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Actually, I have the engine on a stand where it can be started right up. We have used this several times in the past and it works really well. We can start them up and do all the adjustments and work out all the bugs then drop it in the car when done. I usually get help from my dad on timing it, but I always like to get a new perspective on this type of thing...everybody does it differently. I appreciate all the help, I will try and fire it up this weekend.

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 10:01 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambitt
Actually, I have the engine on a stand where it can be started right up. We have used this several times in the past and it works really well. We can start them up and do all the adjustments and work out all the bugs then drop it in the car when done. I usually get help from my dad on timing it, but I always like to get a new perspective on this type of thing...everybody does it differently. I appreciate all the help, I will try and fire it up this weekend.

Gambitt
Sounds dangerous starting an engine up on a stand.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 10:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69
Make sure the compression stroke was just completed. If you're not sure, you'll have to pull the driver's side valve cover and watch for the closing of the number one intake valve.
Wouldn't the timing be retarted (atdc) if the compression stroke was completed? I thought to be advanced 6-8 degs the compression stroke would not have reached tdc.

Quote:

5) Turn the ignition key to the 'on' postion.

7) Rotate the distributor back and forth in your other hand while you look for a spark from the plug. You're trying to pass the number one terminal on the distributor cap past the rotor tip to locate it's positon.
I know this works with points, will it also work with hei/electronic ignition?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Yes, it does.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Yes,..the sentence should have read, "make sure the compression stroke is 'almost' complete. The mark on the harmonic should line up with 6-8 degrees advanced,.."advanced" meaning before TDC. I've edited the above.

Yes, this method work with HEI and Points-style distributors,..even points-style distributors that have been converted to electronic (i.e., Pertronix kit, etc.)

Last edited by Straight-line-69; Sep 28th, 05 at 03:34 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33
Sounds dangerous starting an engine up on a stand.

Actually, it's not at all. The stand is specially built just for this.

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambitt
Actually, it's not at all. The stand is specially built just for this.
Hey post a photo of that stand with the engine in it.

This is so much fun I can't believe it's legal.
69 Camaro- Fastsburn 385 crate, 200-4R
69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage

I'll do it...I should be cranking the engine up this weekend. I will get a pic. Does someone have a spot to host the pic? If so, let me know and I will email it to you. Thanks.

Gambitt

Gambit
69 RS/Z28
Pics:
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 08:46 AM

Timing has always been 34 degrees. Anymore and you are just burning off fuel from over jetting, or detonating the pistons out of it!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 10:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Sorry guys, I know this is a really old thread but I am ready to fire her up and need confirmation. Can one of these spark tools be used at step 6 & 7?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psf4px3heb.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post

1) Rotate the crank by hand until the harmonic timing indicator is dialed in at 6-8 degrees advanced. Make sure the compression stroke was just complete (or more accurately, "almost" completed). If you're not sure, you'll have to pull the driver's side valve cover and watch for the closing of the number one intake valve.

5) Turn the ignition key to the 'on' position.

7) Rotate the distributor back and forth in your other hand while you look for a spark from the grounded spark plug. You're trying to pass the number one terminal on the distributor cap past the rotor tip to locate it's positon.

9) Turn the ignition key to 'off' (it shouldn't stay in the 'on' position for longer than a minute, but this method takes about 20 seconds).

10) Tighten the distributor tie down bolt and re-attach the number one plug wire to the plug.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode