1967 Camaro 350 Ignition wiring question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

1967 Camaro 350 Ignition wiring question

I have a 67 camaro 350 rs/ss that I'm trying to redo. Now, the car had a 350 that was put in before I purchased it so I'm not sure what year it is from, but the Owner said it was from a Z/28. As far as I can tell It's pretty much stock except for the Edlebrock performer intake and Holly 600. My Question is about the ignition switch and wiring. When I first got the car It started and drove fine. But after a while about a week, mid february 2004, I noticed that sometimes the starter wouldn't engage. Crank for two seconds (normal orperation) turn the key off (to keep from leaning on the starter too long) try again and get nothing, like the starter got locked up. So I replaced the starter and everything was fine. Then looking at the wiring and the condition that it was in I decided to replace everything electrical. (Flashback of a story my Dad told me about Grandmother's 68 Mustang burning up). One day (before I ordered the wiring harnesses) while replacing the dash pad, I noticed that there was a burning smell that was coming from under the hood. Once I poped the hood I noticed that the top of the ignition coil had split open and didn't catch fire but was bubbling and pretty much melted the wire half way from the coil to the distributor. In a hurry I disconnected the battery and took out the ignition coil. After getting a new ignition coil and hooking it up to the engine harness I notice that after a couple of minutes the new coil gets really hot. So I ordered the new engine wiring harness from, Classic Industries, and after installing it I get the same result. Then after double checking my wiring I decided to go and change out the distributor (Mallory) to an MSD GM HEI, hoping that this would solve the problem). Before I installed the Msd Distributor I called MSD and they said that it was a drop in ready to run type install where all I had to do was wire the terminal on the distributor cap to a 12V switched source. Simple Right? Well when I tested the Four wires coming out of the ignition switch I have two that are a 12V constant. 1 that is cold when the key is off and at run, but hot at crank. And 1 that is cold when the key is off and at crank but hot while at run. MSD said that I need to find one that is cold with the key off but hot while the car is at crank and run. Right now the car's starter will engage and the engine will rotate but will not start because I have nothing wired to the HEI because I'm still trying to find that 12v switched source. I Thought about grabbing the IGN post at the fuse block but after testing it, it reads 12v constant. Could my problem be with the Ignition switch itself or could the problem be with the wiring of the starter solenoid that I replaced earlier? Also if the wiring is backward on the starter solenoid would the starter even engage? Note that when I replaced the starter the car ran fine untill the incident with the ignition coil. Can any of you help I'm new at this and have already pulled out most of my hair. J/K

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 05, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 1967 Camaro 350 Ignition wiring question

It sounds like you have a problem with the ignition switch. Just to make sure, take the plug off of the back of the switch and check for voltage at the IGN and ACC terminals at the fuseblock. They should be dead. If they're not you're going to have to dig into the wiring some more.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean_Gene3
I tested the Four wires coming out of the ignition switch I have two that are a 12V constant. 1 that is cold when the key is off and at run, but hot at crank. And 1 that is cold when the key is off and at crank but hot while at run. Thanks in advance
I believe the ignition switch may be broken internally. You should not have any hot posts/wires except for the red wire (supply) when in the OFF position.

Purple for neutral safety switch
Brown for directional signals
Dark green for inst panel (eng temp)
Two Pinks, one for brake lights, the other to ignition coil.

Welcome to the Club! Hope you enjoy your membership. Newbies buy first round........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

OK cool, Thanks for the quick replies. I have a new ignition switch coming in the mail Monday from Classic Industries. I haven't gotten around to checking the IGN or ACC terminals at the Fuse block yet but I plan to do that Tomorrow, I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks again,
Gene

P.S.
Cheers
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

OK i just checked everything with the ignition switch unplugged and the "IGN Fused" terminal on the fuseblock is still registering 12v Constantly. The "ACC Fused" terminal reads cold with the key off, hot at ACC, but cold during cranking. The "Lamp" terminal at the fuseblock registers correctly as well as the "BATT" terminal. Does anyone have an Idea what might be causing this?

Gene
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

OK Guys I figured it out. For some reason I felt the need to check the starter wires, thinking that they might have been crossed. But then again if they were crossed the starter, I think, wouldnt engage and the engine would turn. I pulled the header to get closer to the starter and checked the connections anyway and found that the BATT cable was touching the S terminal on the starter solenoid giving me my 12 constant to the IGN Fused terminal at the fuse block. God I must be a moron. Anyway, The problem is solved. I just want to thank Everett#2390 and 12run for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks guys
Gene
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode