Starter speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

Starter speed

My issue is the starter, or the speed with which the starter turns. When the engine is cold it spinns real fast but once the engine is hot, it hardly turns att all or very slow.
I have been told that the heat from the exhaust pipe is making the coils inside the starter swell up and cause some resistance. Is that true? I have also heard that there is some sort of heat shield I can install to reduce this effect.
What's the real truth?

67 Swedish Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter speed

The condition is called heat soak. There have been many different remedies for this from heat shields to remote solenoids. I have a heat shield blanket on mine which helps some what. The only real cure I've found is installing a gear reduction starter. I put one of these on a friend's big block Chevelle and it flat out works every time. As soon as I can afford it I'm putting one on my Camaro.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

try bigger battery cables, and if that doesn't work, get a stronger battery.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Something that is not being mentioned above is that a common cause for your problem is too much initial advance on your distributor. Check your timing, you may have too much advance.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phel69
Something that is not being mentioned above is that a common cause for your problem is too much initial advance on your distributor. Check your timing, you may have too much advance.
timing would have nothing to do with the starter spinning fast when it is cold, and spinning slow when it is warm.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 05, 09:07 PM
Mike

Send a message via AIM to mike3026

Your starter sounds like my old one. It worked fine when it was cold, but when it was hot, it would turn over slowly or not at all. My starter was working, but it was very old and was due for a trip to the trash can. I put a new one in, and it worked fine. I've heard that that heat cover and the distributor problems are rare compared to just a faulty starter.

1987 Chevrolet Camaro V6 Multi Port Fuel Injection 2.8 Litre
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jan

All your answers makes sence. Thanks a lot!
The battery is "fairly" new. The engine is a nineteenseventysomething, smog 350 that some dumb *** put in instead of the original 327 (which has been ordered with forged crank, 12 kilo pistons and flowmaster headers.(no...my wife is happily unaware at this point). )

However,my limited knowledge of technical english makes me ask: What's a gear reduction starter??
Heat shields and covers i can figure out and deal with but I have never heard that expression, or word, before.

67 Swedish Convertible

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 09:51 AM

When you say "gear reduction starter" do you mean of those high performance "Mini Starters" that claim 50-80 percent more starting power & 1/3 the size (to clear header heat etc...)

If so, I'm itching to try one of those myself...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech

I am indeed talking about those high performance "Mini Starters". It cranks my friend's 461 cube 10.5:1 CR big block like the spark plugs are out.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode