Under hood smell - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Under hood smell

I recently completed restoring a 1967 Camaro with a 350 engine and Muncie M21 4 speed transmission. The professionally rebuilt 350 has less than 250 miles on it. Recently after driving the car for about 10 miles I noticed a burned oil or burned rubber smell from under the hood. I looked at everything I could think of and could not find the origin or the smell. Now after every time I drive the car I lift the hood and can smell the same smell. It seems to be much worse driving around town then just crusing 45 or 55mph for 10 or 15 miles. It smells like it is coming from the right side of the motor. I've looked at all the plug wires, battery cables, fan belt, hoses, headers (to see if anything is/was stuck to them), I pulled the valve cover to make sure nothing was broken and to make sure all valves were opening and closing and everything seems fine. The PCV valve is mounted in the right side valve cover and the valve cover is not baffled. I have an oil breather mounted in the left side valve cover. Do you think maybe oil is being pulled through the PCV valve? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 07:51 AM

Re: Under hood smell

Go by and make sure no wires are touching headers or exhaust manifold.

*edit* oops, you already did.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You'll not going to smell as much at road speed as you are on the residentail street due to the speed driven.

One thing you might do later this evening, crank up a hot engine and view for smoke using a black light. Shows up beautiful!!

PCV can be sucking up oil if un-baffled. Pull hose from intake port to view for oil inside. Look at exhaust ports & manifolds joints to view for oil. If traces of oil is about the exhaust manifold, then oil is escaping through the exh valve stem seal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 02:12 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

If you're running headers look at your starter wires.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I am running headers, they are also new. I checked the wire from the battery to the starter and I also have it secured away from the header. I have a heat wrap around the starter so the wires from the engine harness to the starter are also protected.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 05, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

If the heads are cast iron and painted it could be paint and header gaskets burning around the exhaust ports.If so the smell will go away.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 05, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

The heads are cast and they are painted.

Thanks for everyones help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode