454 Rocker Ratio and Rocker Options - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

454 Rocker Ratio and Rocker Options

I bought a rebuilt 454 that I want to put into my 69 camaro. It doesnt have any rockers or push rods. I wanted to know what the STOCK ratio is. From what I can tell it's 1.7 but I wanted to make sure. I dont know what the cam is, but I was told it was bigger than stock but still pretty mild. I was wondering if anyone had used roller TIP rockers as opposed to full roller rockers, and if there's any big advantage to full rollers on a mild 454. I was trying to stay away from full rollers so that I could use the stock height valve covers cause it's an AC car and I plan to put in power brakes.

Thanks,
Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Re: 454 Rocker Ratio and Rocker Options

I wouldn't bother with Roller Tip rockers if you aren't going to go with the complete roller cam setup with full roller rockers. I don't think roller tips are any real advantage.
Get a set of good long slot 1.7 regular rockers and you should be all set. Just make sure that you get the correct length push rods for the valve lift of your cam. Do you know if it is a hyd or solid cam?

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 05, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I tend to disagree. I think a roller tip is definitely an advantage and reduces valve side-loading/guide wear considerably and frees up some friction at the tip too.
A fully rollerized rocker is way preferable if it fits under your valve covers, even with a low lift cam.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
Wes

Agree with Black-out,..a set of Comp Cams roller tips are about $150,..not much more than a set of new GM standard rockers. You'll enjoy two advantages,..less friction and heat, and true ratios,..which should mean a few more ponies.

So, why not?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Standard rockers offer less small parts to end up in your engine with a rocker arm failure and I stick by the fact that they provide very little gain on any performance front.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry I've been away, thanks for you replies, I have one question though... I went out to check out the lifters...

I'm not too familiar with SOLID LIFTERS, all my engines have had hydraulic or roller lifters... when we talk about solid lifter is it litteraly one soild chunk of metal?

The block is a 71 block, and the lifter I pulled up was solid where it touches the cam, it had one groove around the body with a hole and the push rod seat also had a hole. I'm assuming this is some sort of hydraulic lifter.

Lets assume I get a set of full roller rockers, I shoudl be able to use the stock size push rods, since I'm prety sure there cam isnt anything crazy, right?

Thanks,
-A
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

It is my understanding that while the stock BBC rocker arm ratio is 1.7, there is a standard deviation of about 0.1.

Crane Energizers are a nice budget roller rocker IMO.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Are there any roller rockers that will fit under stock short valve covers or am I goign to have to go tall? I have A/C andwill be upgrading to power brakes, so I was hoping to avoid the tall covers... though perhaps I just cant.
-A
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

I have heard that you can stack valve cover gaskets if you just need a little clearance, but I have never tried that myself.

As far as "tall" vs "short", I have found that it's not that cut and dried. Some valve covers are very short, others are mid-height and are called "short". Others are mid-height and are called "tall" while others are wicked tall for stud girdles and are still called "tall".

On my brother's Chevelle he had a set of "tall" fabricated Moroso covers which couldn't be removed unless we took the brake booster off. I bought a set of regular "tall" Moroso stamped steel ones for him which have plenty of room.

Sorry if that's clear as mud...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ahhh... "wicked tall"... reminds me of being back in boston...

How do you know if these lifters are concidered SOLID or HYDRAULIC?
-as
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 01:49 PM

Smile Re: 454 Rocker Ratio and Rocker Options

A solid lifter will open the valve after you get it tight and are still tightening the nut whereas a hydraulic lifter will start to calapse after you tighten it so the pushrod can't spin in your finger and thumb instead of opening the valve.

Then once you get it bottomed out, it will open the valve b/c it is solid then like a solid lifter. BUT it won't have any hydraulic cushion so won't be a good deal...

pdq67

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Comp Cams Pro Magnum stainless steel rockers may fit under the standard rocker covers. Crower make a similar rocker also. I have a set of the CC on my engine and they are more compact that aluminum rockers.
Because my cam is a moderate solid lifter, I can't say if the rockers would clear low valve covers.
Comp may be able to tell you. They really don't appear that much larger in area over a stamped rocker.

These rockers will work with standard length pushrods..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode