Header Paint That DOESNT Burn off??? Is there such a thing? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Header Paint That DOESNT Burn off??? Is there such a thing?

Ok, I've bought into the hype several times & all the High Heat Will not burn off statements have been B.S. every time ... it burns off.
I think I even bought paint once that claimed to adhere better with heat
I am wondering if anyone here has used paint on their headers that actually hasn't burned off. If so, please let me know what to buy!!!

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Header Paint That DOESNT Burn off??? Is there such a thing?

Pretty much the only thing that won't ever burn off is a ceramic coating, like Jet Hot. Figure to pay more for the coating than the headers. My hookers came coated (for 2.5 times the price of plain!) 5 years later they still look like new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Well I think you're right, there is no such animal. Both my cars have painted headers and currently look pretty good. But I contribute that to the fact that they keep getting taken off for various reasons then repainted while they're off. I've had good luck with Rustoleum Barbecue/Stove Paint and I've also used the VHT Coating as well. I doubt over time either will last.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Oct 3rd, 05 at 08:10 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 05:18 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Has anyone tried VHT with ceramic aluminum color ? I did my intake and am wondering about doing the headers.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

I bought some Alume-Dust from Ricks Camaro, and its been on my 67's headers for 6 years now. looks like i just painted them yesterday.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I applied Eastwood manifold paint to my sandblasted headers on my Chevelle a year ago,they still look good. Easy to touch up too if needed.I have seen to many Jet-Hot jobs bubble and rust(including my own) Apply this stuff to sandblasted headers with a sponge brush and forget about it.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I had my headers ceramic coated by a guy in Anderson SC for just a little more than $100. They look good now, but they engine has not yet been started.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Well give the guy a plug. I'm interested as he's close by for sure.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i used VHT nu cast flameproof (the 1500* rated stuff) on my old headers, and drove with them for a good year, and though the color changed a bit, it still looked good and never peeled off. my uncl runs a set of sanderson shortys on his model A with the same paint, and it looks just like mine, its been on for at least 5 years, though obviously not daily driven. i got the idea from him in fact.
believe it or not (i didn't) it works. i think prep is the biggest issue with keeping them looking good.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Hey Andy,

That Alume-Dust stuff seems to hold real well. 6 YEARS!! Do you drive the car frequently?
That may be the way I go, but I really didn't want a spray (since I didn't want to remove them....

By the way, is that the stock power steering bracket setup? I have reinstall my pump because my brackets are home made. Your's looks great.

Thanks guys...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I use Rustoleum charcoal grill paint. Its flat black and it doesn't burn off, plus, you can buy it at any hardware store.

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967rsss350
By the way, is that the stock power steering bracket setup? Thanks guys...
Not that I'm Andy, but Yes, this is the stock P/S bracket. You supply the spacer and the long stud to make up for the 2 inch thick stock exhaust manifold.

If the flange is 1/4 inch thick, then the spacer will be 1 3/4 inch long. Use a Dorman heat-treated stud and a Stainless steel nut.

I had a local company here at the Beach aluma-coat (flame spray alumimum coated) the headers I used. Wish I could afford Stainless headers, especially the ones I have now because they are round ported to match the head ports.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

1967rsss350: I drive the car on weekends. It probably has had about 8-10,000 miles put on it since the headers were coated. I make alot of short trips since I have about a 6 mile circle close to my house that I normally take it out on. So, they have been heat cycled quite a few times, there's no doubt about that.
X33D80: Who cermaic coated your headers? I'm only 15 mins from Anderson (Clemson Student) and I sure would like to know who done it for only a 100 bucks. I was gonna get some hooker super comps when I do my engine swap and wanted the ceramic look.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

I used POR-20 on my headers, which is high heat resitant paint from por-15 (www.por-15.com) They are great for rust preventative paints so they can't be far off for high heat paints.

1968 Camaro; 350/th-400
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

To RoJo who asked that I give the guy a plug:
Vanguard Industries in Anderson SC applied ceramic coating to my headers. He also did powder coating on my bumper brackets, front inner fenders, and other parts. They too look very nice. Tel # is 864-261-8131. He is just a couple miles north of I85 off of Clemson Blvd.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode