Harmonic Balancer W/ Timing Light Error - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Drew

Harmonic Balancer W/ Timing Light Error

Hey
Here's The Deal I just Converted my old points system to an electrical system on the same Distributer W/ Vaccum Advance and I have the firing order right But when I plug in the timing Light to Time it It is No wear Near the timing plate As a Matter of fact I Retard it and it runs EVEN Better and if the numbers went lower it would be reading at somewear arround 25 to 30 degrees Retarded. My Auto Shop Teacher ( I'm 16 ) Says that my vaccum advance Might be stuck open but I'm Just curious if you guys could tell me if Thats right or if it could be something els like if a vaccum leack arround the carb If It could also make it read like that. But if it is ( My Vaccum advance stuck open ) I was wondering If there is a way 2 fix that or if I can take out the vaccum advance and not have 2 buy a new distributer or what I Could do But I appriciate the help Thanks Again

Drew
1967 RS Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Harmonic Balancer W/ Timing Light Error

If the timing marks are 25* to 30* retarded, one would not be able to see the mark due to the harmonic balancer mark would be at the 3 o'clock position or further clockwise. If the distributor is turned CCW, its advancing the timing, the timing mark will be going CCW when viewed by the timing light. CW will be retarding the timing. Are you aure you'll on #1 plug?

Usually, when a vacuum unit fails, it either is stuck at the "at rest" position or the diaphram is broken and the unit is still at the "at rest" position. Never seen one stuck open, maybe the instructor is suggesting the diaphram is really broke and the arm is disconnected inside and the arm has "sunk" inside the vacuum can. This would advance timing.

You can buy just the vacuum unit and change it with the distributor in the engine, a little difficult, but can be done. And it does make a difference if the engine is 2-bbl equipped or 4-bbl equipped.

Follow your instructor's advice, ask questions and learn.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 05, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Drew

Re: Harmonic Balancer W/ Timing Light Error

Thanks For The Advice And For telling me That I don't Need To Get A New Distributer But I Am Pretty Darn Sure I Am Firing on #1 But I Will Check It Thanks Again

Drew

1967 Rs Camaro
Origional 327
Deluxe Interior
4:11's W/4 Speed Muncie
Now 3:33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode