Pypes Crossflow 2.5" System Feedback - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 05, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charles

Pypes Crossflow 2.5" System Feedback

well, after almost 24 years my car finally roared to life tonight. see my "BEERS ARE ON ME" thread.

after searching this site looking for the best exhaust system i finally made it over to www.Pypesexhaust.com and looked at their 2.5" Crossflow system. i'm a ground clearance nut and this system definately has that. it sounds real strong at idle not too loud but it will most definately turn some heads when i roll up to the stop light.

rev it up and it gets real loud. not tinny like some of those other systems on the market.

now the bad stuff, i'm not trying to bash Pypes by any means but this is from my experiance installing this kit myself.

this is a very new almost prototype system from Pypes (just came out this summer) so maybe they will work out the bugs i ran into in the next few runs.

1) when assembled the pipes going into the muffler where too far apart and i had to force them into the muffler. didn't like that so i cut one angle and folded it in and rewelded it to take the stress out of the rear pipes.

2) the muffler (which mounts in the stock position between the rear end and the fuel tank) is off center about 1-1/2". i'm a perfectionist and this just bugged me to no end. but, if i pushed the muffler over it forces the passenger side pipe into the rear u-joint. so, i centered the pipe to the u-joint and will just have to live with the off-center muffler.

3) the 2 pipes coming out of the muffler are JUNK. they are not bent right to mount as the original dual exhaust did. i could not use the repo hangers. the drivers side is a little too close to the tire for my liking but will work for now. i was able to use the 2 hangers that mount under the trunk after twisting them about 45*. looks like they belong there so i'm happy with them.

4) i ordered the angle-cut chrome tips to exit out the back. they do not look right at all. one was even 2" longer than the other so mine stick out a little different from side to side. when the tips were put on the JUNK pipes they hung down about 7" from the tailpan before they were level to the ground. yes, it looked really dumb.

5) i had to cut off over 3" on each JUNK pipe in order to make the tips look halfway presentable. they still angle up a little.

6) when my car is ready she will go to the muffler shop and have the 2 rear pipes and tips reworked to my satisfaction. from the muffler forward everything will work just fine.

overview:

from the muffler foward this system is great barring the off-center muffler.

there is a ton of ground clearance with my thorley headers. when looking at the side of my car you cannot see any exhaust except the lower edge of the flange on the headers. everything is tucked up level or above the bottom of the subframe. my sub will hit before any other part of my car bottoms out. looking under the car from the front it looks beautiful and all business.

i've noticed at about 3500 rpms that i get a little blat sound but this may be that my carb isn't adjusted and the motor is still tight. i'm running a ZZZ crate motor from GM i bought in 92' and added full roller rockers with a holley 750 double pumper so it raps extremely fast now. i am using 302 Z/28 motor mounts, my HEI distibutor fits with clearance.

i am very satisfied with the sound, somewhat dissatisfied with the quality. extremely satisfied with the ground clearance.

i didn't need reducers since the thorley's are 2.5". i just went to the muffler shop and had them flare some pipe to fit my header donuts and cut them to length. it's a sweet setup undernerath now.

FACT: if you go to pypes website and click on pics, you'll see a 69 camaro and a 69 firebird they claim both have the crossflow system. i've looked at those pics dozens of times during my installation and it finally occured to me that the pics where all of the same car. they don't have any pics of the camaro, yet they claim the pics are. look at the oil filter it's on the wrong side and then you start to notice that the pics are all from the same car.

i would recommend this system if you're looking for something a little louder than stock, and most definately for the ground clearance. maybe pypes will work out the bends to fit a little better in the near future, i hope they do, then this will be a kick-a$$ system for first gens.

the system comes with a "racepro" muffler. i'm sure it's the loudest. there are about 3 different mufflers available i think.

when my son comes over thursday night i will try to take a video and sound clip to post. however i can't post since i don't have a website yet. if somebody would be kind enough to donate some space i'll forward the clip to them and then everybody can hear it. pypes has a sound byte but it doesn't do the system justice for sure. i believe the test car's motor is stock.

sorry so long, but i know that exhaust is a huge subject on this forum and the more info we have the better decisions we can make the first time.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 02:18 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass
Re: Pypes Crossflow 2.5" System Feedback

Because of constructive criticism posts like Charle's, the system has evolved quite a bit since October of 2005. The system is now stainless, the two pipes coming off the muffler were improved, the muffler is now stainless, flows much better and is a little quieter, the angle cut tips have been redisigned and an optional extension has been designed for 76-81 TA splitter car owners and the price hasn't changed in 3 years! Overall, we get quite a few compliments on this system. Probably more than any other system we make.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Because of constructive criticism posts like Charle's, the system has evolved quite a bit since October of 2005. The system is now stainless, the two pipes coming off the muffler were improved, the muffler is now stainless, flows much better and is a little quieter, the angle cut tips have been redisigned and an optional extension has been designed for 76-81 TA splitter car owners and the price hasn't changed in 3 years! Overall, we get quite a few compliments on this system. Probably more than any other system we make.

Chris, Why is the post from 9/05 even brought back up I want to put pypes on my 69 pro street and this post discurages me to see.Can this post be discarded for that simple fact, this is just one experience . Are you a pypes empoyee and where is pypes located.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 04:00 PM
Chris Casperson

Send a message via AIM to Ccass

The topic starter created a link to this post from a different 'active' topic. So I felt it necessary to reply to it because members are probably clicking on the link included in the other topic and seeing this less than stellar review... and quite possibly not noticing it is almost 2 1/2 years old. I'm not sure why I didn't reply to it earlier.

I am the founder and chief bottle washer at Pypes.

Hatfield, PA

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come cry'n to me.
Founder
Pypes Performance Exhaust
Cold Case Performance Radiators
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 12:56 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

bump

Chuck Sharin
Seattle area
69 COPO recreation (Day 2)
70 Z-28
70 L-78
70 SS R/S
73 RS LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode