Pertronix - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 05, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Phil

Question Pertronix

Just curious to hear comments from those that have replaced their points with a Pertronix Ignitor kit. I have a 69 w/396 and was considering making the switch. They offer two versions: Ignitor and Ignitor II. Which is preferred?

Thanks,
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 05, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: Pertronix

I use the Pertonix Igniter I on three cars (part # 1181, I believe). I highly recommend it...best $100 you'll spend.

I also recommend their 40,000v Flame-Thrower coil but it requires a full 12 volts...your stocker uses about half that, because a full 12v will quickly fry the points. A resistor wire from the ignition to the coil is used to reduce the juice to the coil,..so you'll have to replace it with a 12 or 14g braided wire or run a jumper from your fuse box (from the connector that says "IGN") to the coil.

After insalling both, you'll have a stock-looking and fitting ignition that is very stable that will rev to 7000 with no problems. You'll also find that cold starts are much improved.

Search "Pertronix" on this site,..you'll find many who are fans,..very few who aren't.

Good luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Phil

Hello and thank you for your response!

I appreciate your opinion and thanks for the info on the coil as well. I think I'm going to install a Pertronix system over the winter while my baby sleeps!

Phil

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: Pertronix

I installed it on my 67' and have never had a problem. Installation was easy and as previously posted, cold starts were better, idle smoother, and you never have to mess with points again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

Ignitor 1 in my 68 along with flame thrower coil, no problems yet.

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

had one a couple years ago (first design i believe), worked well, while it worked. it was fine then one day just crapped out. exchanged it for another one, and it never worked right, its sitting on a shelf still. i went to an hei, now running all msd stuff. the hei ran as well or better than the pertronix, when it worked.
do a search of this site on them, lots of mixed results.
hopefully they have them working well now, they are a nice idea, but you are still running them in an old distributor. i would go hei first, myself.
just one mans opinion

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Turd Fergeson

I'm kind of in the same boat as 68rs406; the first one worked great until went toes up suddenly, and the second never worked right.

1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2016 Black Corvette Z06/Z07
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I have 2 friends that tried the whole setup on Chevy trucks.

A couple of years later, they eventually both came in on a hook...no spark...no start.....stranded along side the road.

It's hard to beat a good HEI.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

Just FYI, the CRANE XRI is a pretty cool little device with a rather simple rev limiter. I installed one in my distributor with ease, and checked for a spark by just spinning the Dist shaft slowly by hand. Got a good hot spark, very simple.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNiner
Just curious to hear comments from those that have replaced their points with a Pertronix Ignitor kit. I have a 69 w/396 and was considering making the switch. They offer two versions: Ignitor and Ignitor II. Which is preferred?

Thanks,
Phil

Robert

'69 X-33 since 1984

"Its all crazy..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode