Crate motor vs LT1 or LS1 fuel injection. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 05, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67
Crate motor vs LT1 or LS1 fuel injection.

I have a 67 convert that used to be a 6 cyl car. Somebody before me did a pretty good job of converting it into an SS clone. However, the motor is a good running but not very powerful 350 out of a 73 nova. I am trying to decide the best way to put some muscle into the muscle car. Here are the options I have been thinking of that I would like to get everybody's thoughts on.

1) Buy a 383 crate motor. There are several companies on ebay that sell these for about 3500ish.

2) Rebuild the existing 350 and convert it to a 383. Not sure if this is cheaper than #1 option but I know it will take longer to do the work.

3)Convert to a modern drive train. Is it possible to find a wrecked late model camaro and put the modern fuel injected motor and possible the manual transmission (no automatic for me, I like shifting) into my car.

I dont know how feasible #3 would be nor what the cost might be. Has anybody done this? Are you glad you did? Is this a big dollar endevour?

Thoughts?

1967 Convertible SS 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 05, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Crate motor vs LT1 or LS1 fuel injection.

Check a few websites, this has been done quite often. try...

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ have a good write up, also

ls1tech.com, pro-touring.com, lateral-g.net.

Good luck

Mike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 05, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

B -

Tyler at ATS carries kits to do the LS1 and T56 swap, there's a pretty good thread here: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388212

Tyler's site is www.t56kit.com

I have seen both LT1 and LS1 1st gens, and personally I prefer the look of a carb and air cleaner under the hood, especially the cowl hood. The LT1 is pretty much flat across the top, and looks like a small block in a 50s pickup, kinda out of place and too small.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 05, 07:07 PM

Talking Re: Crate motor vs LT1 or LS1 fuel injection.

I like the LS1. Its all aluminum, fuel injected, and has a real 350 hp plus at the flywheel right out of the box. According to some testing articles,with the corvette exhaust manifolds, the engine made 402 HP! With the right gearing, it'll also get in excess of 22-23 MPG. Its the most modern architecture GM uses, and any GM dealer will have the parts in the event of a mishap. Plus.... and this is the best part... I already bought one for the reasons mentioned, so now I HAVE to LOVE IT!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 05, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Crate motor vs LT1 or LS1 fuel injection.

You should consider what your swap budget will be. I love my lt1 in mine (swapped in 2002) but if I had to have another one, it would be an LS1. There is nothing wrong with the LT1, just depends on your goal with your car, ie cruiser, strip or whatever. I have a hot cammed LT1 that puts down 300 hp at the rear wheels and gets 22 miles to the gallon on the highway (3:73 rear).

There are many "hidden" costs involved with a EFI Swap. You have the engine, wiring, fuel system, accessory bracket choices and other things to consider. Do you want the BLING factor or are you looking for functionality. Before you know it you could have more than $5000 in the swap. Search on this website and others like www.pro-touring.com and www.lateral-g.net to see what others have done.

Are you looking for the "WOW" factor in the conversion or just wanting to get better driveability/mileage? There are other options like the Holley/Edelbrock aftermarket efi kits that you could use with you old motor/crate.

As for Eric's coment about the LT1 "looking small and out of place", I guess it is nice not to look like every other first gen camaro with a carb and 15 inch rallys when you go to a cruise/show.

If you have the budget to do it and want an great performer, go with the LS1/LT1. Otherwise, build what you have (or get a crate motor) and add an overdrive (like t-56, TKO, 2004r or the 700r4.) Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

ls1 gets great mileage, but there are 101 gotchas for making work in a 1st gen. i like the idea of fuel injection, but i like the period look of a round air cleaner. i'm leaning towards a crate engine for my 68 w/ throttle body intake. edelbrock makes a complete package http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._efi_440.shtml but it has edelbrock logos all over it. holly & accel also have mpfi systems that most any crate engine builder can install for you.

68 project car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode