Timing Spec for '67 SS 350 Engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Timing Spec for '67 SS 350 Engine?

I don't have a service manual yet. Can someone tell me what the correct engine timing spec is for a stock 350/295HP '67 SS motor? Also, which plug is the number one?

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Timing Spec for '67 SS 350 Engine?

i believe it was 6* btdc but you should be able to run 8*.
#1 plug is the passenger side closest to the front of the car.
set timing with engine warmed up,at idle(about 650rpm)in park or neutral.parking brake set.plug the vacuum advance line at the distributor end.
BE CAREFUL!i had a friend severly lacerate his elbow on an aluminum flex fan!
remove jewelry,roll up long sleeves,and tie your hair back if it's long!
loosen the distributor hold down bolt or nut until the distributor turns with a bit of effort(not loose or it will spin on you before you can re-tighten it).
set timing and re tighten distributor(not too tight or you can bend the distributor shaft).
re-check timing.
since your car is stock you might want to pick up a distributor wrench from the local auto parts store,it will make things a bit easier.
that should do it!
Eric B

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 08:09 AM

Talking Re: Timing Spec for '67 SS 350 Engine?

He, He!!

Turn her up until she try's ta kick back the starter AND then turn her back a schosh works fine!!

pdq67

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 12:08 PM
Guess

Exclamation Re: Timing Spec for '67 SS 350 Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER 86
i believe it was 6* btdc but you should be able to run 8*.
#1 plug is the passenger side closest to the front of the car.
#1 plug is on drivers side, front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

I am having the same problem at this point. Where should I set the timing at idle? Should it be at 0 (the groove in my balancer) or should it be at 34*? Someone told me to plug the vacuum advance off then rev engine to 3000 rpm's and set timing to the 34* mark. I have done this, but then the car will not idle and it runs rough? I rev it higher than 3000 and it spits and sputters and cracks? It doesnt seem to have alot of power. I am a novice when it comes to engine timing and need some help. This is a new 350 HO crate engine. I just had to get a new distributor because of clearance issues with the firewall. Since I put this new distributor in I lost the old timing mark and had to start from scratch and I dont think I have something right. I do have the wires correct (check that a hundred times) This is getting very frustrating and I can't wait to try this engine out. Could I have the valves tighten too much?

67 Camaro rs/350 HO(est. 401hp)/4L80E/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 05, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
He, He!!

Turn her up until she try's ta kick back the starter AND then turn her back a schosh works fine!!

pdq67
A time tested and VERY effective way to set the timing... seriously.

I generally leave the timing light in the tool box until I'm ready to get serious. Yes, it's important not to have too much total timing, very important. In a perfect world, that would be changed inside the distributor, not by backing down the initial until the motor would barely run. I have no idea why the factory sets the timing so conservatitively, perhaps JohnZ or someone might clue me in?

Seems my engines always like a lot of initial timing. If it don't wanna crank over hot, that's too much. If it pings at part throttle, that's too much to, but that can be worked out be changing the mechanical and vacaum advance curves. My current 327 wants 18 degrees initial, plus another 18 from the vac can on full not ported, for a total of 36 degrees at idle!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

How many degrees does each notch on the timing scale represent? I think 2 degrees per notch from TDC? I timed my stock SS 350 and it's at the fourth notch before TDC. So must be 8 degrees BTDC. That's at idle without plugging the vacuum hose at the distributor. What would the timing be with the vacuum hose plugged?

Steve
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech

good catch joe!guess i was thinking about a 6 cylinder.
Eric B

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCamaro
How many degrees does each notch on the timing scale represent? I think 2 degrees per notch from TDC? I timed my stock SS 350 and it's at the fourth notch before TDC. So must be 8 degrees BTDC. That's at idle without plugging the vacuum hose at the distributor. What would the timing be with the vacuum hose plugged?

Steve
8 would be right, each notch is 2. you should only set the initial with the vac hose removed and plugged tho.

If the vac advance is on ported vacaum, it should have little or no effect on the timing at idle, but if it's on full it will ad a bunch of advance at idle. Easiest way to tell is start the motor, pull the hose off the dist, and put your finger on the end of the hose. If it's sucking hard, it's on full.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode