"Sortof" a Camaro inline six question... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

"Sortof" a Camaro inline six question...

except it is a Continental F-series flathead inline six for my 1943 Clark Planeloader forktruck. It does sort of look like a Camaro engine though...only way different. I have a question regarding rust pitting in the cylinder walls.

I purchased a government issue short block for the resto of my planeloader that was machined in 1944, smeared in cosmoline, and crated. I have disassembled the block and mic'd everything, and the machining is top notch and within spec. Two of the cylinder walls had air bubbles where the cosmoline SHOULD have been packed, and there are a few pencil eraser sized spots of rust in the bottom 1/3 of the bore. I cleaned them up carefully with some dental clay dams and chemical acids. Killed the rust, but the machine shop told me tonight that it will take a +.030 bore to clean these spots. The rest of the cylinders are perfect.

Will these rust spots cause me problems or ring failure down the road? I really hate to bore a virgin block if not necessary. Would appreciate some imput about my "Camaro like" engine problem.

PS-I'm running some outragous gears in this thing. A tad slow in the 1/4, but quick off the line, and it will tow a B-25 with ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: "Sortof" a Camaro inline six question...

they should be below the rings, doubt the motor will ever even know they are there. Even if they're in the rings, doubt they'd make a difference. Besides, where the heck would you get .030" over pistons for A 1943 Clark Planeloader forklift?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 05, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: "Sortof" a Camaro inline six question...

I just now finished mocking the bottom end up to see exactly where the pits would fall in relation to the piston rings. Only the oil rings will travel over the pitted area, so I guess the compression will not be affected at all. I just worry that the rings might break because of this, and lunch the whole block.

Suprisingly, Clark still supports this Planeloader. When I started the restoration, I inquired about a service manual and parts breakdown. I didn't really expect to hear back from them, but they called and asked for the spec plate. One week later, I got a 250 page service manual with OEM part numbers AND current Clark numbers...for free. They had many of the trans parts I needed, and yes, +020 and +040 pistons. The parts manager also gave me the required Federal Mogel and TRW part numbers.

The only parts I am having trouble with, are all of the military fitments. They placed all the ignition and hydraulic parts in stainless vaults. The turned case for the coil's (yes, two ignition systems) must weight 35 pounds. Pretty impressive, but rounding up the missing connectors double braided stainless hydraulic hose is almost impossible. Areoquipe told me that stuff was obsolete by 1946.

Thus, boring to oversize is a possibility, but the machine shop would not make a comment either way. I found that odd, as I rely upon their expertise for many decisions.

Clark has been excellent. I wish my local Chevrolet dealer was that accomodating. I went in last month to order a few 12 bolt posi parts, and the counter guy told me that unless I had the part numbers, he can't help me. Then he looked at the guy next to me and said "Can I help you?" To this *I* replied "Am I dismissed?" To this he replied "Unless you can pull those part numbers out of your ***". I think this was his attempt at humor, but I didn't find it amusing. I ordered the parts online, and will think twice about going into that dealership again. Makes me really appreciate those businesses that stress customer service. Clark was so helpful with everything, it made me want to order from them, even when I found parts cheaper from the OEM list that THEY supplied.

Far to long. Thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode