Do these heads stink? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Do these heads stink?

I bought a rebuilt 454. The guy only had the block castin gnumber when I bought it, but told me the heads where of the same year. Im finaly starting to get it all ready and I realize this is what I really have.

MY BLOCK

3963512 454 70 Pass, Corvette, 360,390HP
3963512 454 70 Chevelle LS6, 450 HP
3963512 454 70-71 Pass, Chevelle, Monte Carlo
3963512 454 71 Corvette 365,425 HP

MY HEADS

343772 366-454 76-84 Truck HD Oval Port

I dont have any other information on the setup. It's been rebuilt and I was told it had 10.5 :1 compression, but I think I'm going to have to pull it apart to see what's going on. Im going to pull out the cam to see what's going on in there as well. Though I suppose my question is, shoudl I try to get new heads or are these heads decent enough. It's not going to be a track car or anything, it will be a daily driver sort of car, but Im not plannin on towing stuff here, I plan on getting alot of tickets... what do you think?

Thank,
-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 12:05 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: Do these heads stink?

Is the engine installed in the car yet and running?

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Nope, it's sitting on an engine stand in the garage.. it doesnt have an intake, rockers or pushrods yet. So it's easy to take apart, just cost me the cost of a headset to put it back together.

-A

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 05:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Alex

76-84 oval ports are junk! I would assume they are the small runner heads? Open chamber. I wouldn't think it would be 10 1/2 - 1 unless you have a decent little dome in there? Even a LS6 dome with open chambers only comes out to about 9.8 or so. I would get a set of earlier open chambers if you want to keep it mild. They will give you more power. Those late truck heads are really restrictive. It's like peeing through a straw!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 06:21 PM

Smile Re: Do these heads stink?

If the intake ports are wider than they are tall, they are the smaller "peanut port" heads!!

Otherwise, if they are taller than wide, they are large ovals!! Then go for them!!

pdq67

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is what I got, I suppose they seem more like rounded squares, or even CIRCLE ports then rectangle or oval, but I'm going ot assume they're junk and I'll hunt down a set of decent heads. Anyone interested in a nice rebuilt set of heads?

Thanks,
-A
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

353049 1970-73 402/454 Open 113.0cc

I found a set of these castings for sale... would these do the trick?

-A
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsterman
76-84 oval ports are junk!
Hardly true, 049s and 781s were made from 73-86 more or less. Not exactly shabby oval port heads.

Unfortunately 772 heads aren't as good as 781s and 049s.

California Fats, hte 049s are great heads for your engine depending on your pistons. You will find them to be more like 116-122ccs though unless they have been milled.
Before you buy them verify what your pistons are and how much dome they have. I run milled 781s and they are 116ccs but they have large valves and have been ported. I am using K/B 257 pistons which which are large domed and my compression is 10.3:1.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anyone have any experience with these no name aluminum heads?

I see this set on EBAY for about 1500 bucks, shipped, doesnt seem bad for NEW aluminum heads...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think?

What could be BAD about them?
-A
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm going nuts here, there's so many different head castings out there, seems like there's plenty to choose from. I found another set for 300 bucks,

3856206 1965-66 396 Closed 325 97.2cc

Is there any reason this earlier year head would be a problem with my 71 454 block?

How about these... about 500 bucks..
3993820 1971 402 300, 330 LS-3
454 Open 365 LS-5 113.0cc

Is there anything special I shoudl be looking for... with so many different options, I dont know what to look for.

I can proabbaly redo the pistons in my block, it's been rebuilt ith new pistons but at this point, I could just pull the pistons and put in new ones if I needed to change things up.

-A
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

There is probably no need to replace your pistons if they are new. What you need to know is if they are designed to work with open chamber or closed chamber heads and what their dome height is. Then you know what heads to look for.
You need to know what type of engine you want to build and then tailor the parts to it. Do you want 400+ hp, 500+ etc... Do you want torque down low or a high revving engine. I don't know but it sounds to me like you are kind of throwing parts together and you may not like the results you get. Any MK IV heads will bolt to any MK IV big block, the year doesn't matter. Closed chamber or open chamber pistons does make a difference.

Bob
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech

I don't know what you paid for the motor but 512 blocks are getting real hard to come by. the 820 head is fine if you want an oval port motor.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It was all rebuilt by previous owner. I've just been doing some reading and basicaly from what I can tell, is any head would be great EXCEPT what I have. These "peanut" port heads just arent goign to make any power past 4000RPM.

I'm not making a straight up drag car or anything, but since the motor is still sitting in my garage I might as well put it together with a decent set of heads. I dont really think I'd put in new pistons, as long as I get another set of open port heads with roughly the same combustion chamber I can use the dome tops that are in there right now.

What I AM trying to do is get parts that will work well as a team. The problem is, the guy I bought it from was the FATHER of the guy who built it and doesnt know TOO much about it. I'm going to pull the timing cover so I can see what the cam is. He said this:

"Its a hi performance howard ground , hydraulic cam adjustment on cam is 3/4 turn."

I think he's saying it was installed with advanced cam timing, but I dont know. I was told it was 10.5:1 compression with dome tops. That's my problem, I dont really know what's going on in there. What I can tell from the outside is casting numbers. If Ive got a set of heads that kind of stink, I dont mind spending the money on some new head gaskets and putting on a better set.

It's going to be a my fun car. I plan on driving the thing every day, but I dont need it to be a perfect ride, I have a honda for that.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm not too well versed on chevy stuff. I was previously an Oldsmobile guy, it seems like there's ALOT more options when it comes to chevys.
-A
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Fats, take a look at this chart,, its not the one I have a hard copy of but it may tell you what each head is by casting #...

My hard copy show a gm head # 188, 401, 990 casting will flow the best and are within 75% of each flow number, the exhaust vs. intake amd make the most hp but ,, you need to match with the correct piston.. If I find this other link, I will post... Good luck. Keep in mind what you will be doing with this motor, Running Sonny Lenoard or cruising ?

http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaFats

"Its a hi performance howard ground , hydraulic cam adjustment on cam is 3/4 turn."

I plan on driving the thing every day, but I dont need it to be a perfect ride, I have a honda for that. -A

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY??? The above should NEVER be stated on a Camaro site.

Actually what I think the guy's father was telling you is that the valves are adjusted 3/4 turn past zero lash, pretty standard.
The heads that you have would probably run fine from 1000-4500 rpm but then run out of steam. There are guys on this or the Chevelle site running high 11s and low 12s with prepped peanut port heads. They aren't the most desirable but they may suit your needs. They could still get you well over 400 hp.

Bob
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode