dexcool clogging up 2000 camaro v6 radiator? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Johnny

dexcool clogging up 2000 camaro v6 radiator?

i recently did an oil change. everything went fine.

than i got curious and checked my coolant. i pulled out the dipstick (or whatever you call it) and it was slimy and muddy looking. i went on a website and it said that many people get problems using DEXCOOL coolant. is that true???

i think the slim and muddy thing coming from the coolant looks really bad and im gonna do a flush, but how do i prevent this from reocurring?? i bought the car maybe 79k miles and its barely on 81k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech

Re: dexcool clogging up 2000 camaro v6 radiator?

I had an 86 buick with the same symtoms,in fact it plugged up the heater core and i used air and water together to blow it out. I then flushed the whole system until i got nothing but clean water. I then used distilled water and prestone to refill.No more problems. I hear if you regularly change the coolant the dexcool is ok but if you let it go for a while it will sluge up
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Johnny

i want to flush it, but what is the best to put back in??? prestone???.....and is it safe?? i know its probably bs but the manual says only dexcool

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 10:30 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Read this thread:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64088

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 06:21 PM

Angry Re: dexcool clogging up 2000 camaro v6 radiator?

It's another GM "great Idea" NOT!

Kinda like Vega motors and one-time use hollow head-bolts!!

Not worth a "Tinker's dam", imho...

pdq67

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 08:38 PM

From what I've heard and experienced Dexcool is not good for engines if it is not changed regularly. The water pump/gaskets on my aunt's 98 Blazer failed because it still had the origional Dexcool coolant in it. When the water pump was replaced we used "Advance Auto Parts Anitfreeze/Coolant" (which is made by Prestone; just with a Advance logo) that is compatible with cars that had factory dexcool. For any car with any color or type of coolant.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:22 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

If you have 50,000 or more on the motor you should have it flushed.
Its tough on gaskets and water pump.
I had my 99 Blazer system flushed when I wasnt getting heat and lots of crap came out. Works fine now.
I did replace with Dexcool but will keep my eye on it.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:43 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by budd333
i recently did an oil change. everything went fine.

than i got curious and checked my coolant. i pulled out the dipstick (or whatever you call it) and it was slimy and muddy looking. i went on a website and it said that many people get problems using DEXCOOL coolant. is that true???

i think the slim and muddy thing coming from the coolant looks really bad and im gonna do a flush, but how do i prevent this from reocurring?? i bought the car maybe 79k miles and its barely on 81k
Run the recomended coolant in your alum block and head car. It's what is best for it and doesn't require frequent changing. My experiences have been bad and good and I have done a lot of research. Modern GM engines have bleed screws in the cooling system. They are there to get the air out, air causes the sludge or jel like crud that can build up in the system.

Do your flush, get the best stuff you can get ahold of and plan on doing it at least 2 times. When your system is clean use the factory recomended stuff. Purge all the air out and make sure the system is sealed so no air gets in. Your cooling system got the way it is from lack of or improper maintaince...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Johnny

=( i just bought it 2k miles ago. im on 81k as of today, i bought it used 79k miles in august
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 11:05 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

thats ok bud

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

I bought my Tahoe off a mechanic and he had already switched it over to the green stuff. Everyone freaks out when they see it. You should've seen the quick oil change arab look at that when I tried to get a oil change. LOL I've been driving it for about a year with no problems and it has over a hundred thou.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 12:10 PM

Flush with # 12346500 and then buy "New GM caps" and refill should be fine. Leaky caps causes it to goo up things.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My 97 GMC has 100,000 miles and Dexcool with no sludge or anything. I keep it full including the overfill jug and don't allow air to mix in and it stays fine. It's the air entering the system as said previously. I will flush and refill for this winter and use one of the extended life antifreezes from a local store. I guess I've been fortunate in that the stuff is obviously suceptible to problems.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Is Dexcool different from the reddish stuff that honda & toyota sell? The sillicate (sp?) free stuff that is supposed to be kind to alumimum??

Edit: Can someone translate?

Q. What does Be Cool recommend for coolant?

A. Be Cool recommends a major brand, OEM grade, 5-year coolant such as an ethelyn glycol based coolant. Use a mixture of 60% ethelyn glycol based coolant and 40% distilled water after thoroughly flushing all of the old coolant. Distilled water is important because it has no chemicals or impurities.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode