12 Bolt Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

12 Bolt Questions

I bought a GM 12 bolt rear end (complete). I paid $350 for it. Now I find that the entire assembly is 1 inch wider than the stock unit on my 69 Camaro. We are going to cut the spring 'perches' off (they are about an inch wider than my stock ones too) and then reweld them back on so they will fit the stock multileaf springs. This will mean that my wheels/tires will about 1/2 inch further out on each side (there is plenty of clearance for this.)
Do any of you folks know what this rear end is originally out of? The springs perches have never been moved. Think this was maybe a Nova rear end assembly?
Thanks for any ideas.
Mike

69Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 05, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
BH

Re: 12 Bolt Questions

One inch wider sounds like it may possibly be a second gen rear. Any numbers?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

There are numbers on the rear end. I will get them tomorrow and post them here. I have cut the spring perches off and welded them on so that they will fit the 69. I should have it all installed tomorrow so we will find out pretty quick now if all is ok. The original rear end is a 3.08 (I think). This one is a 3.55. With the 700r4 that is in the car the new unit should really wake it up. We will see.
Thanks, Mike

69Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 05, 07:47 PM

By moving the perches, you possibly have created a junk housing by welding on it ,if you did not know what you're doing.I have about a dozen 67-69 Camaro housings that are junk,why? because someone decided to weld on them and it warps the hell out of the tubes if you don't know how to do it or have the rear set up in a jig.I have been doing rears for 20 yrs. and it still blows my mind that people think that you can freely cut and weld on a rear end housing.Even a lot of so-called pro's don't get it.I have a minimum of 25 12 bolts that will need to be straightened before use.This is only a quick check and does not mean that the housing is not warped,but maybe at least not too bado the axles slide all the way in and out easily,if they do not,then you have created another junk housing.I make 67-69 Camaro and 65-67 Nova housings.Proper alignment tools and a jig are necessary to do a proper job.Dennis 518-234-2480
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 05, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis: Well the deed is done. The perches were cut off and welded back on prior to my reading your email. The rear end is in the car and I installed new axles (they went in with no difficulty) as the others were badly scored. The rear end seems fine. The 'roaring' that it was doing is gone after we replaced the outer bearings. There is no 'chatter' in the unit and it seems to work fine, spinning both wheels as (I suppose) it should. The 3.55 ratio really wakes this little car up (we replaced a 3.08 dogleg unit.) The car has a 700r4. Maybe we got lucky as regards the cutting and welding on the tubes. Thanks for your advise. I am sure it will help others that read your post.
Mike

69Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 05, 10:19 PM

I'm glad to hear it.Play the lotto now my friend as you are lucky.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 05, 03:10 AM

I am sure it will help them in knowing it's a bunch of crap. The millionaire with a junk pile! LOL! If that isn't the biggest load of crap. There isn't anything straight about these cars when they were new. Thousands of perches have been cut off and others welded back on. You think they took it to the local fab shop and put it on the jig? No way, they put it back in the car and drove away. Maybe in your perfect little world? I always like to collect bent junk. You might as well throw your 25 12 bolts away! Sounds like you should be polishing silverware and not working on cars?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech

Easy comrades! We are all on the same team here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode