Engine frame brackets - how far back? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Engine frame brackets - how far back?

For reasons known only to the previous owner, I have extra mounting holes in the engine cross member for the frame brackets. I'm sure they were trying to fit something in the car without having to hammer on the firewall (thank God!).

I know that the brackets will hang off the back of the cross member when properly installed..... but how far? They're 350 brackets. Like I said, I have several holes to choose from.... they all look factory. I can't figure out which ones are TRUE factory holes.

Right now, there's a good 1" or more of overhang on the big end which seems like WAY too much, and maybe 1/2" on the small end on the drivers side bracket. The pass. side bracket has no overhang on the small end.

Can someone give me some measurements or idea exactly how they should be mounted?
Thanks all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Engine frame brackets - how far back?

I believe it to be correct. The drvr side needs some as it is the attachment point for the clutch return spring.

Somebody has posted pics of the placement of said mounts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Yeah, I looked.
I don't need to attach any clutch parts.

I see pictures once in a while and they never looked to be so far back. Maybe it just doesn't seem that way in pictures.
I guess I can drop the block on them and see how close the HEI is to the firewall.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

But, the bracket having the hole in it for the clutch spring is the drvr's side bracket. Others here have had the pass & drvr mounts swapped and this places the engine way forward and the trans bolts do not go into place.

As for distance from firewall to distributor, with 307/327 mounts, HEI will fit. With 302/350 mounts, clearance is needed.

I find there will be plenty of room if:
1. The harmonic balancer is directly over the sway bar
2. I can place a 9/16 box end wrench onto the bellhousing bolts from above.
3. The heater hoses are not cramped for space.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 05, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Well, these aftermarket brackets are what was on the car when I bought it, and it had a 400ci installed with an HEI. I had no problem unbolting the trans from the block from above. The firewall has never been dimpled.
There are no other holes in them other than the engine mount holes. Before I painted them, they were labeled for a '69 with 350, but we all know how aftermarket parts are.
The taller bracket is the passenger side, the shorter bracket is the drivers side.... correct?
Maybe I'll take some preliminary measurements and see how far back the block is gonna sit before I go hoisting this thing around the garage.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 05, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might try DavePozzi's site for measurements.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 05, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Guess

So much for test fitting the engine.
The ram on my hoist decided to test my reflexes today.
Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight will have to happen first.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 05, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech

Joe -

See if these photos help. They are of the small block stands that were on the 69 when I bought it.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 05, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here are pics of my orig GM mounts with the part numbers on them in my 69, if that helps

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/media.c...1153314-000055

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/media.c...3775478-001443

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/media.c...1153314-000055

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Eric and Jonesy, those pics are EXCELLENT. They're sitting right where mine are. Thanks guys!
I just couldn't remember what they looked like when I took them off 6 years ago.

Holy crap.... now I know why there are extra holes in the crossmember about 3/4" forward of the factory holes. I got a measurement of 14.5" from the rear surface of the block to the inside of the rear-most ear of an engine mount. With the way the engine angles down, and the size of the HEI, it obvious the previous owner moved the block forward for fitment purposes. That 14.5" will push the distributor into the firewall.
DANG!

Back to the drawing board.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 05, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Guess

.... and the drawing board says "Warm up your BFH and go to town!"

Looks like I either get a small body HEI (out of the question) or massage the sheetmetal some.
It took me a little while to realize that mounting the engine further forward in a car like the Camaro is a big no-no. Center of gravity and changing the handling charactoristics for starters.

I hate to destroy a perfectly nice firewall.
All in the pursuit of happiness I suppose!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 05, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Send a message via MSN to jet_car2000

Dont bash it !!! Get a good dual point dist. and a msd box ,
Thats the way i avoid bashing the firewall and works as good
as the hei does in my opinion. Frank

1968 vert
1967 RS/SS
1967 base 210 glide
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 05, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Unless I find one in perfect shape in the junkyard (highly unlikely), any new engine parts are out of the question right now.
I really see no choice in my situation.... unfortunately.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 05, 05:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Joe, I had an HEI in my car with no firewall massaging. There was about 1/2" clearance. This was using repro 350/302 mounts.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode