In search of a BB question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

In search of a BB question

Hi All- I have sort of an odd request Im hoping someone can help me with. From time to time I come across someone who has a BB stored “in the back of the garage for years”. Now I don’t really need a BB at this time, however for some strange reason Im compelled to own one just in case I ever pick up car that I want to drop it in. ( I was toying with the idea of yanking the 305 (non –matching) out of the 76 camaro I have in the back of the shop and putting a BB in…maybe when my son gets older..) Im not set on any particular CU either. I would appreciate any info about if there are particular YEARS or CASTINGS that I should really pass on and conversely any years, castings etc that I should jump on on the spot?? Any other tips on what to look for under all that oil and grease is appreciated. dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: In search of a BB question

Honestly, you should get the numbers off of it and post it here. I can't think of any big block you really should avoid, although truck blocks and peanut port heads are typically not as desireable as others.

By the way, in order to put a big block in your '76 you will most likely need a new hood to go with it, or use an LS-5 or Torker II manifold. Everything else will be too tall.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill - thats my understanding on truck blocks as well. Not sure what the peanut port heads are tho? Thanks for the info. dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Peanut port heads have small oval ports. They are not as good as large oval port heads or rectangular port heads for performance as they do not flow very well. That's not to say that they are bad; you can still get decent power from them. They were mostly used on trucks for low end grunt.

The best of the oval port heads are the castings whose numbers end in 049 or 781.

Note the port size on the heads, those are peanut ports.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:51 AM
Tech Team

It's all about the castings, so I've found. I bought a 454, I had the block casting numbers and I found the block was a '71 454 block... that's great, but then when I got it home I looked up the head casting and found they were TRUCK HEADS from about 1980. From everything I've read the PEANUT PORT heads were used on Trucks, they have very small port openings, about the size of a PEANUT. They make good low end power but drop off at about 4000 RPM. Not ideal for a street/strip car unless you plan on towing your boat down the 1/4 mile.

So I've been hunting down another set of heads. I've found these two sites are a great resource.

http://www.kendrick-auto.com/casting_numbers.htm
http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

If you find someone selling a block or heads or both, ask them to get the casting numbers for both the block and heads, or get them yourself and then look them up here and that will tell you alot of what you're looking at.

-A
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Oh, and one other thing- "HI PERF" typically won't mean too much. It was cast into all big blocks till around '91 IIRC.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 05, 05:16 PM

Smile Re: In search of a BB question

If the ports are wider than they are tall, they are peanut port heads!

And they are usually around 200 cc's or so.. Open chambers, I think?

The Vortec, L29 head that replaced them comes in as a true, although small large oval port head but generally they are around 230 cc's or so! It' s good small head b/c it has a very good modern 100 cc, heart-shaped, open chamder design!

And there are true large ovals run from 235 up above 260 cc's!! Open, semi-closed AND closed chambers....

Plus smog, or open-chambered large oval heads that you tell b/c the quench by the exhaust valve is almost totally gone and the chamber is squared up with the intake valve lines..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode