1967 camaro 396 engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
red

Question 1967 camaro 396 engine

Wanting to no what engine casting numbers should be in a car with a build date of 7B , second week of July. It is a 4K car and I thought it should have the block casting of #3902406, and the heads of #3904391. A friend has a motor with casting numbers of #3916323 and heads of #3919840, and block date of F-15-7. Can anybody help with info about this, and how close the engine date to car build date is normal???
Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 05, 06:45 AM
Team Member

Re: 1967 camaro 396 engine

Hello Charlie, Met you at carlisle this past summer. We talked about metallic brake rears. Here is what I have learned. There are late camaros and chevelles that have 323 blocks in them I know of two that were orig. and I also have an orig. 67 chevelle block that still has the vin on it. It was cast F87 and assembled 0626EG ( I may be off a day or so on the assy) And all these would have been 4bolt blocks. I've also talked to some guys that have 406 blocks into june but they seem to be 2bolt 325 horse blocks but that sure doesn't mean they didn't make 4bolts too . Maybe some one will chime in who has had one of those blocks . The block that I have had one F 7 7 840 and a replacment 291 . I think the 840 was orig. It seems that there are no 391s past april so I believe your car would have 840s being a very late car
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 05, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
red

Still can't figure out that one rear end? The fill plug is smaller than the other ones?
Just got back from a 350 mile road trip. 7 miles from home my alternator started winning and my key switch started smoking up through speaker grill. I stopped car and unpluged alternater wire plug. Then started up and continued home , stopped car while it started smoking again., that wire smell, and reach up and burned my figures on back of key switch feeling for heat. Then looked under dash and was very small flame on plastic. ??? Have you had this before. ?? Got to go get car from friends house tomarrow. But from what you are saying it looks like this engine would be legal in my car?. Another question is , what about the exhaust manifold casting numbers ?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 07:54 AM
Team Member

The books say 879 & 880 manifolds
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
red

Thank you for your help. Well just took apart key switch and it was arking between the solnoid circuit . The key switch looks wore out in side and was to far to next postion inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode