HELP! Oil in Gas - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 05, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Oil in Gas

My dad just bought a 69 camaro with a 427. It is a race only car. It has an electric fuel pump, good compression, good plugs. It has a holly carburator. The floats are set right. The engine seems to run great, but after only about 5 minutes of running it the oil smells like gasoline, and is dark grey. At first I thought maybe someone left the fuel pump on and it seeped through the needle and seat, but we changed the oil, and ran it for a while, and the same thing happened. I don't think after changing the oil there would have been enough gas left in the crankcase to make the oil change color. Could it be seeping through the rings while it is running. I would think it would be running way too rich if that were the case. I'm grasping at straws. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 05, 05:30 PM

Re: HELP! Oil in Gas

You mentioned that the engine has good compression. Did you run a compression check to be sure the rings are sealing in every cylinder? Sounds like you are either so rich that the gas is running past the rings and washing down the cylinder walls, or the rings are worn out enough to allow excessive blowby of fuel and air. Has the oil level risen? I'd check that as well, because if that much fuel is getting past, the level would rise. Needles and seats could cause the issue. Excessive fuel pressure can also force fuel past the needles and seats. If the plugs look good, I'd lean more toward a cylinder or two with weak rings. How many runs were on the engine when the car was purchased? When we used to drag race, we'd get about 200-300 runs on a set of rings and bearings. Unburned fuel in the crankcase plus heat might result in some problems, so you may want to run some more checks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode