OK, how much damage did I do? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

OK, how much damage did I do?

Stupid mistake thread here. I just put a new mild cam in my 68' 327 and set the valves pretty close, fired up easily and ran pretty well. Had a loud valve clack on the pass. side. Stock set up all the way except for an intake and carb. After the break-in time...where the engine sounded OK, but was hard to tell at the higher RPMs.

Here is where it goes bad and I get very depressed.

So I take the valve cover off the pass. side to get to the clacky valve and it is not really loud now, like something has changed, but it is not visible. Well, I think I still had a higher idle speed set on the carb and went to adjust one of the valves with the engine running....plastic caps on the rockers to limit oil spit. When I made a small adjustment on the rocker that looked tighter than the rest....something happened. Seemed wrong.

Shut it down and noticed that the rocker was sitting at an angle...****....bent pushrod for sure. Pulled out the pushrod and tried to put a new one in....and it goes in, but sits at the same angle as the bent one did before I pulled it. Clearly I have messed up the "channel" that the push rod sits in. Or something.

Anybody as dumb as I am and have an idea as to what I may have done? Any smarter guys with good advice?

Too depressed to look at it today.

Thanks,

Darrin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 04:54 PM

Re: OK, how much damage did I do?

Darrin can you post a pic of the head.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

I think the rocker is broken or the stud has died. It's really hard to do anything to the guide part of the head.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Head is still installed. Nothing visible from the outside. I guess I will go ahead and pull everything...or at least down to the intake to see if the lifter looks normal.

Thanks for the info on indestructability of this area...the passage for the pushrod...which I guess is cast in the head, right? It sure does seem that the path to the lifter is blocked or altered in some way. Not good.

Will post pictures when I get it apart, maybe on the weekend. Right now I only have a bent pushrod. I fear for thel cam too.

Darrin
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 05, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Lifter come apart? Lock spring, sprung and piddle valve to side? Can you look down the other push rod holes and see something out of place with a small pen light? Yes, do check that stud or rocker arm ball area,, could have split one ?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

OK, never underestimate the power of even the most simple advice you may offer to a distraught pseudo-mechanic. I took your suggestion and looked with a penlight and problem is solved....and so simple.

I had adjusted the valves cold and then installed the intake manifold. When I installed the manifold, I just used the bolts from the old manifold without really thinking about it. Well, when I torqued one of the bolts, it ran right into a pushrod....gouging it and setting it up to bent. When I tried to put the new one in, it was slightly obstructed. I will change the bolt to a shorter one and run it. New pushrod fits as it should with the bolt backed out. Hopefully this is the only one...will have to check the other side as well.

Wish me luck on the camshaft...hopefully it survived this.

Slightly happier here...did not occur to me to check and see if the bolts were interfering with the pushrods. Must remember, one change leads to another...check everything, etc.

Darrin
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you did check the rest of those bolts, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 01:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Si ,, Need to check them all ,,Lucky you, you solved this with your own grumption. Thats what street rodding is all about.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

JimM,, Nice pictures,, Is this the car that is getting the TKO?

Don
TC # 349

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 01:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yup, that's the one. Someday I'll finish the website. The after pics ain't the best, and I need to document the work I did last winter.....the good news is it's looking like "cash flow" will allow another fun winter improving the ragtop!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

OK, damage seems to include at least a collapsed lifter. Will have to go ahead and remove the intake over the weekend....will be sure to carefully check all the clearances then.

I assume that the lifter just got beat up during the 20 minutes or so it ran. Hopefully I will be able to get it out and no other damage is present. Will take a look at that lobe when I get the lifter out. Hopefully will not have any dramatic pictures to post.

Thanks for the comments Gents.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I would use this opportunity to adjust your lifters the old spin in your finger method while manifold is off, One up one down til its done. Its simple and accurate, You can actually see the lifter cup preload . I dont really like adjusting lifters on new cams too tight until I get some miles on it. I have even gone thru the trouble of breaking cams in with just the outer springs, but thats me. There are other ways also but its just an opportunity to see what you are actually doing,,, And go back with some shorter manifold bolts.

Don
TC # 349

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Did you check the piston to valve clearances? and if so, what minimum clearance was it? ..and did you check it from 15 degrees before and after TDC?

It does sound like you've done a cam lobe though.. If you were too close on one valve, you would have been just as close on at least the other 7 or 15.
The collapsed lifter sounds like it was bashed to death from excessive clearance as either the lobe wore down or hopefully the rocker's posi-lock was backing off.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode