Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions

Does a fresh rebuilt engine with an already broke in cam still have to go thru the same start up as it does with a brand new cam? You know, the 2000 rpm for 20 minutes deal.

On a fresh built to specs .030 over DZ engine..what is recommended for head gaskets? or complete gasket set. The block IS NOT decked if you need to know that.

Thanks

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool Re: Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions

Why would you install a used cam/lifter set in a new engine? The camshaft/lifters are the fastest wearing parts in a SB Chevy engine.

So lets say you do install this stuff: The lifters need to go back on the same lobes they were mated to in the previous engine. You should not need to break in the cam as usual at 2000-2500 RPM for 20 minutes.

On SBC's with iron heads and stock blocks I like to use the stock replacement FelPro Perma Torque head gaskets. They work very well and are resonable in price. Do not use cheap gaskets.

Good Luck!

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Dana-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Daily Driver)
1967 C10 Short-Wide 496BB/TH400/12-bolt (The Shop Truck)
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

Chris @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 11:14 AM

Smile Re: Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions

High performance stock engines used the cheap, .020" thick steel shim headgaskets for years so go figure.

And some engines even had two stacked on them to lower the CR. before they worried all that much about quench and our now poor gas!

pdq67

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions

If you're using new lifters on used cam, then you need break-in.

If you re-using the old lifters, then they BETTER be on the same lobes as before. As long as they are, then no break-in necessary. If they aren't in the same bores as before then you will probably ruin cam.

If it's a roller cam, then it makes no difference at all.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Cam and lifters are only $100 for the Crane blueprint 30-30. Whay take a chance? Jerry MacNeish told me to use the GM .028 composition gasket sold in the GM performance catalogue. They are available in stock at most chevy dealers. I can provide the number if need be.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Gary,, I sent you a pm but will not go thru,, says you got too many in your box that has not been cleared...

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 05, 08:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17
Gary,, I sent you a pm but will not go thru,, says you got too many in your box that has not been cleared...
It's clear now. Thanks.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Exclamation Re: Fresh engine, used cam. A couple of questions

The cam [30-30] and lifters are brand new, and just broke-in with approx. 500 miles. Is currently in a .030 350 built with all the external parts from my 302. Runs great with no problems. As soon as I can get my Z to pass Delaware emissions curb idle test my 302 is going in. And NO i haven't got it to pass yet.

I really don't think I'll be using CHEAP gaskets...which is the reason why I asked that question...what is recommended?

Gary L...do you know if I can get those gaskets in a complete gasket set from GM?

I know about the lifters having to go on the same lobes. I have installed used cam and lifters before with engines already broke-in with NO problems, but never a "fresh [broke-in]" cam and lifters in a fresh engine. That's why I asked that question.

Why would the cam get ruined if the lifters aren't going in the same bore?

Thanks

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 01:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I am not sure if they are available in a set. The cam lobes "mate" to a specific lifter during break-in time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode