250 6cyl to 283 swap ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 05, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

250 6cyl to 283 swap ?

I have a 67' RS with a 250 6 cylinder and 2spd powerglide. This car is a one owner,all original car. Motor was rebuilt 14 yrs. ago and has only about 18K mi. on it. Car was last lic. in 92 and has sat since. My husbands 68 charger has a 550HP loud motor with a nice deep tone and I'd like mine to have a nice "rumble" too. We have a corvette 283 that my husband say's we could put in it. I dont want to take the value away from the car though, unless it would be a easy swap. SO WHAT WOULD WE HAVE TO CHANGE??? Keep it original or modify??? Opinions please!! My husbands a mopar guy and not a CHEVY guy.... Thanks for any info.

Last edited by lisa's67; Oct 26th, 05 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 250 6cyl to 283 swap ?

Welcome to the Club! The 6-cyl can be removed and replaced with a V8, but value would drop, unless you kept the OE engine and everything else removed from the swap, and handed it over during the sale. If it were me and my car, I'd keep it original because of the options installed, JMHO. Its your car and your decision. Go for it!

However, getting back to the swap, do a search here for engine mounts, the ones bolting onto the frame. The OE 6-cyl mounts would have to be unbolted and removed, V8 stands put in place and bolted up. Don't drop any nuts inside the frame as it is gone, use tape on the box end wrench. The frame mounts I'd use would be for a 307/327 V8. This model of mount would position the engine forward enough to install an HEI distributor later in life if so desired.

Look in Rick's catalog and others for frame mounts and pictures of parts to get the names and an idea of what's out in the market for this swap.

Alternator bracketry will have to be bought. W-style exhaust manifiolds would be needed to be fitted so the OE (original equipment) lower bracketry would bolt up. Upper adjustment bracket bolts to alt and intake manifold.

Power steering bracketry, if equipped, would have to be found and installed for a V8.

Radiator hoses for a V8 and heater hoses also. The present radiator would work, have it cleaned, but a SBC V8 fan shroud would have to be gotten. Don't forget pulleys to match if the 283 does not come with them.

The fuel line from the tank is 5/16 inch diameter and it will suffice very well and its output is in the same spot needed as for a 6-cyl or V8.

The 6-cyl starter can be used if the flex plate from the 6-cyl is transferred over to the V8.

Wiring harness will work, you may have to fold up the ignition coil harness as the coil is now in the rear of the engine, not at the front. No resistor block is needed if there is a cloth covered wire from the firewall connector and if you run a point distributor. AN HEI distributor will work, but one must change out the cloth covered wire from the firewall connector with a 12 AWG stranded wire. This wire can be routed from the inside fuse box terminal labeled "IGN" for easier install. The water temp & oil pressure will work fine. A/C should work as well.

The carb linkage will need to be shorten, hacksaw into two pieces, clamp in place the length needed and weld it together. Or, replace it with a cable system from a 69 Camaro.

The Powerglide kickdown linkage will need to be from a SBC V8. A 6-cyl linkage will not transfer over. Recycle yards will have them in 68-72 Nova's and clones, or most any V8/powerglide equipped vehicle. And trans cooling lines will remain the same. You might consider converting to a TH350 with 6-inch tailshaft as it is a direct bolt-up. Shifter gate plate would have to be notched out for manual selection 1st gear, otherwise fine. Cooling lines transfer also. Use TH350 convertor as the P/g convertor has a smaller input shaft diameter.

There you have it, some work involved. i've done this swap out using stock parts from the yard and has worked very well. You & yours will have to figure what route to take and what aftermarket item to replace, ie, exhaust manifolds & exhaust, you may chose a shorty header, or a full length header, and dual exhaust. And there are other countless options to chose for swapping out OE for aftermarket.

If you do decide to use the Corvette 283, I suggest you at least get the oil filter adapter to change it from a cannister to throwaway filter and use the short one, similar to Fram PH8, especially if using full length headers. Summit Racing sells the adapter.

Place the driver's side header in first, then the engine, installation will be alot easier.

Others here will give their suggestions, so you & yours won't be left out in the woods.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 12:39 PM
Team Member
Christropher

That's an impressive break-down there Everett. You like to type way more than I do

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

Personally I might think about staying with the 6 and loosing the power glide. In a car as light as a Camaro the 250 is quite adequate and will get better gas mileage. The glide on the other hand is the worst thing ever made unless you have a 1500# car.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 01:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Cool Re: 250 6cyl to 283 swap ?

Everett, it was so impressive on the break-down you gave on this post, i have to at least get an opinion from you on my sons 68 Camaro,or from anyone who can give me advise on this..i have no turn signals,the fuse block is a little rusty so i tried to clean it..how do the turn signals work? from start to finish or should i buy a wiring diagram?...or should i go with an after market fuse block? Thanks, Chris

Muscle cars were loud, proud, and in your face, and did not pretend to be anything else.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
Talking Re: 250 6cyl to 283 swap ?

Lisa,

You can still have a rumble with the 6, & with a few mods you can get reasonable power & great fuel economy too.

I have put a Clifford intake with a 500 cfm Edlebrock carb (390 Holley might be bit better). I have also added a Clifford street rod type header with 1 into 2 transverse mounted Aero chamber muffler. the resulting tone at idle is close to a small block, but when it comes off idle there is no mistaking it as not a V8.

With addition of a performance cam it will sound & run even better.

I might be a wee bit biased, but keep the 6 in it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

Last edited by MCGOO; Oct 30th, 05 at 05:21 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everett! You sure gave us a great break down & we appreciate it! I'm most likely going to stay original with my baby! I acquired this car from a co-worker of my husbands several years ago. I am the second owner on it, and it originally came from Alaska. I have two very tiny rusty spots on the drivers side down by the bottom of the door area, and a seam rip on the drivers seat. The guy was going to restore it himself and had the front clip off and the engine & tranny are still complete but are out of the car. (Oh, I do need a top dash pad. Anyone know where to get one?) I think I got a "Good" deal as I only paid him $800.00 for the car and it came with pretty much everything to restore it. Thanks again! Lisa

Last edited by lisa's67; Nov 5th, 05 at 09:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 12:12 PM

Everett ... You are the Man nice post bud.

Quote:
The glide on the other hand is the worst thing ever made unless you have a 1500# car.
The Glide true enough in stock fashion was no turbo 400/350 but neither were the 350 engines of the gas crunch era. But that hasnt stopped the aftermarket from making them both the pieces of choice for thousands of racers. Stock case glides built right can handle tremendous power. Not only in 1500# but 3000# cars benifit from them regularly. Not to mention the aftermarket cases now that would possibly never came to be had the factory not made the PG.
Im not trying to bash but I thought you may not have known that heavier cars switching to PG can pick up ET and do regularly with the corectly matched parts.
PS Anyone throwing PG in the trash I would love to be your trashman. Just the cases are worth good money here.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 05, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camarofast
i have no turn signals,the fuse block is a little rusty so i tried to clean it..how do the turn signals work? from start to finish or should i buy a wiring diagram?...or should i go with an after market fuse block? Thanks, Chris
If you are comfortable with following schematics, then I would learn how the circuit operates. Using the schematic, you can see what connectors and components in the harness you need to check for voltage. From there, you could give us your results and we could advise on what steps to take next.

For a shamless plug, I have diagrams for sale in the Team Camaro forum classifieds. It also has the circuit operation desrcriptions for all the circuits on a 69. Other than a few different connectors the wiring is pretty much the same, enough to follow and understand what's going on. They can be instantly emailed to you.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode