Would a 454 fit? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Would a 454 fit?

I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 454 long block for $800. I am restoring a 67 conv. right now along with my 68 coupe.
Would the 454 be too much for the weaker conv. structure. I would at minimum put in frame connectors but is the engine too big to mess with in this car.
Seems like a good price for a rebuilt long block.
Thanks
Eldon
Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 07:46 PM

Re: Would a 454 fit?

If you dont plan on doing road course racing and the cars structure is in decent order it should make a nice ride.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 05, 06:25 AM

Smile Re: Would a 454 fit?

Big blocks came stock in our cars. Just make sure and use correct metal frame and rubber/poly engine mounts is all so it sits correctly.

And they also had a center outlet BB heater core that moved the hoses out of the way of the pass. side valve cover, but I have my 496 BB in OK so I didn't worry about it!

The tranny rubber/poly mount will need to be a three hole jobber so you can use the center hole on the right side crossmember hole. Just one bolt and it is fine.

pdq67

PS., almost forgot, a bigger rad. to cool the beast. BUT they were stock too. AND h-d front coil springs for the extra weight the big motor has over the SB's.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 05, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Great! I am going to get some numbers off of the block next week. Is there any one set of mumbers that I am looking for, like pad stamp or block casting or??

Thanks
Eldon
Texas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 06:35 AM
Kevin

I agree with texas. Make sure your rockers, inner rockers and front seat pan where rear subframe attaches are solid. Also make sure the middle sub bolt holes for the donut are not rusted thin or gone. If your sub is not well connected when you put power to it, you will have a pretzel.

The motor will fit size wise, for sure.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up Re: Would a 454 fit?

Post back the letters at the end of the VIN number string off the block deck pad that's right above the pass. top water pump bolt so we can hopefully tell you what it started life as.

BUT I will say that more than likely it is a P/U motor only b/c there are more 454 P/U motors then all the other BB's combined.

GREAT core motors to build on too!! My 496 is made out of one!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode