Need advice on a head/int trade - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 05, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on a head/int trade

Hi all!! I am hoping for some advice from the knowledgeable guys here on a potential trade I am trying to decide on. Here's the deal: I currently am running a 355 with 10.5/1 KB Flats. 462's 64cc cleanly ported (dont have numbers/papers but guessing 175-190int vol) 202/160 race-flos, comp cams 280/[email protected] mech roller straight up w/1.5's, Perf RPM intake with 750AFB. A BTO 700R4 stage3 with 2200 stall and 3.42's. My bro-in-law has a set of the victor j 23deg 70cc 2.08/160 215/85cc CNC with the vic j intake (CNC/matched) for $500 plus gaskets/my labor. I can do the swap and trade heads and intake with him. It will help him out of a mismatch with his 268roller, but I am just a bit afraid of the lower comp and larger intake volume killing the quite strong bottom end I currently have. I could stand to lose a bit as I can't stick it all, but don't want to lose too much and have to regear, or get a new 700R4 stall $$ I am hoping a few of you more advanced engine guys can give me some advice on wether this is a good trade for me? I know I will gain on the big end, but damn, its a street car and as the Olds guys say, horsepower sells cars but torque wins races What do ya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 05, 05:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Need advice on a head/int trade

I think you answered you own question. You are closer to a match than Bro is . Your compression is a little high and maybe too much cam for your heads? Bro is overflowed with those heades but with 70cc i will think his compression is better? . His heads on your motor will drop comp but you wont have as much flow volocity ,(cant spell this morn, got up too early).
Lets see if the others are up yet,, see what they say.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 05, 06:58 AM

If compression is the only concern... Just a thought you could have the 70cc Heads milled, usually is inexpensive. If thats not enough use the thinner headgaskets along with the milling.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 05, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

yeah, thats where I am at for sure... I am mostly worried about dynamic comp. I could open the valve clearance to .020 and gain some, but I dont want to go any bigger as I hate the way .020 starts to sound anyway..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode