85 V6 to V8 Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

85 V6 to V8 Swap

Hi folks,

please help, I only have a small one, engine that is.
I live in edinburgh Scotland and last year got my hands on a 85 2.8 mpi V6 with 3 speed + overdrive auto box. I believe the box is a 200 R4, so I was told anyway.

I have now decided I want more power, so naturally its time for a V8. I have spent a lot of time and money on the body of the car so dont want to just go out and buy another car, so the engine swap will have to be made.

What I need to know is, will I need to change my box, diff, breaks and suspension for V8 parts. I have been told that the V8's and V6's used a lot of the same parts?

Please help, winters setting in and its time to start building a new improved toy for summer.

Cheers

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 09:06 AM

Smile Re: 85 V6 to V8 Swap

I don't think your tranny will fit a V-8 b/c that engine is a 60 degree vs a standard 90 degree "V" motor?

As for everything else.

Probably a new bigger rad., V-8 front springs.....

Sorry, I am not that familiar with the newer year cars so can't help much..

Please go over to the "SGCOG" site and ask the guys there.

Good luck with upgrading your car..

pdq67

"Second Generation camaro Owners Group"..............

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 07:28 PM

Re: 85 V6 to V8 Swap

what you will need, as pdq67 said, is a bigger rad because the V-8 is adequately larger than the V-6 therefore....more cooling is needed. As for the diff, you should be able to use your existing rear end. Your car came with the 3.42 gearing, no V-8 third gens came with these gears so i wouldnt know a whole lot about them. A cheap alternative is to get a 3.73 or 3.55 set. Anyways, you should also be able to keep the front shocks, but upgrading to a set of V-8 ones would be a better option. If you have the 3 spd overdrive, you are running a 200R4, and correct me if im wrong, swapping to a TH350 trans with a 6" tailshaft housing you should be able to use your existing driveshaft, not sure on the splines though As for your brakes to my knowledge the barkes on all third gens were the same. As for most parts on all third gens being the same, you are basically right, most parts are the same. I hope i cleared up a few of your quaestions, and good luck with the swap. Cheers

~~Nick~~

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech

what about all the wiring, the efi, ignition, ecu? i doubt any of this would be the same from V6 to V8
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird
what about all the wiring, the efi, ignition, ecu? i doubt any of this would be the same from V6 to V8
Good point bird. All of your wiring and ignition has to be transferred from the donor car......if you are planning on using an donor car and not a crate motor. It would be much easier to have a donor car than have a V-8 crate motor. Also your motor mounts need to be swapped, and tranny crossmember (depending on what type of tranny you plan to use)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 09:22 PM

We did this once back in the early 90's and it was kind of a pain. One thing to remember, is that your car has rear coil springs, so there is a torsion bar that runs from the rear axle to the tailshaft of the tranny you have now, so swapping directly to a 350 won't work very easily beacuse its tailshaft wont have the mounts for the torsion bar. After all was said and done, even though we went carbureted, it was more trouble than what it was worth. I am guessing there are no IROC's where you live? In the States, at least, you'd be better off selling and buying an IROC. Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode