engine vib - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

engine vib

I have a 383 stroker. The engine vibrates more then just the cam shake. Even if I give it more gas, it doesn't smooth out. I went from a holley 750 to a holley 600. No change. The flexplate isn't broke or warpped, and the balancer isn't bad. What would be the problem? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech

Re: engine vib

Are you using a "400" balancer and flexplate?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

A new problem on an otherwise OK engine?
Incorrect ignition lead placement?

Need more info on it's recent history..

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 05, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

yes 400 bal and flex. engine sat for 2 years.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 06:08 AM

Not trying to sound dumb here but have you done the usual homework and checked plugs plug wires dist cap etc... basically make sure all cylinders are firing properly? Maybe it will be a simple cure. Dont skip checking parts just because it may be new or fairly new sometimes the new stuff isnt always the way it should be.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 05, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

everypart has been checked and/or replaced. Sparkplugs all are the same firing color. New wires new cap and rotor, new dist.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

how much of a vib would a 350 on a 383 cause?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:41 AM
Bill

ma,
Before the engine sat for 2 years, did it run ok ? If so it should not be a "balance" problem unless something mechanical was changed, like the flywheel and damper. A 350 damper on an externally balanced 383 will make it shake pretty good.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

no vib before it sat. I have changed the flexplate since then though. I have a feeling they gave me the wrong one. The balancer hasn't been changed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA69CAM
I have changed the flexplate since then though. I have a feeling they gave me the wrong one.
I think you've found your problem -- flex plate. If you have a 400 harmonic balancer, you need a 400 flex plate because of the weight next to the ring gear.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

does it matter which position I install it? not front to back but which clock position I put the weight.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There is a specific place the weight is physically attached. It probably would be best to buy either an OE flex plate or an SFI accepted plate.

This will insure the correct place is obtained.

There is an extra hole for a dowel pin located on the crankshaft flange. These must be aligned.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I looked at the flexplate on the car and there is a weight on it. Now I think that there isn't a dowl pin to install the flexplat correctly. Will know more after I drop the tranny.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 06:25 PM
Bill

ma,
Do you still have the original flexplate to compare to ? It is possible that you have an internally balanced 383. The fact that there is not a dowel pin in the crank makes it even more likely. Does your damper have a cutout in it to make it "out of balance" like a stock 400 damper ? If not, again ... it could very well be an internal balance engine. Just something to keep in mind.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 08:36 AM

Question Re: engine vib

Somebody might have given you a 454 flexplate so take it apart and complare the two.

I say this b/c I still haven't found anybody that can visually tell me the difference between the 400 and 454 flywheels and flexplates except by number.......

I took a chisel/punch and gently marked my two flywheels so I wouldn't forget which is which too!!!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode