Uh oh....This isn't cool.... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
MaryBeth

Unhappy Uh oh....This isn't cool....

We started the engine several times over the weekend...(running with a 5gal gas can since gas tank not on yet...) and we had tons o smoke billowing out of the garage. Not the oil burning smoke though, it was white. Some was from the paint on the headers, but what else? Seems to be running extremely hot. All bolts checked and tight, all gaskets have been changed, everything looks good. Will replace thermostat this weekend but, what else do I look at?

BTW, the engine sounds great! No misses, just a steady rumble...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Uh oh....This isn't cool....

White smoke is usually steam, indicating overheating or a coolant leak into cylinders. Get a good pressure test and pressure test the coolant system.

But before you do that, I would take a simple cranking compression test. Take all the plugs out, crack open the carb (or TB) then check cranking compression on each cylinder. They should all be within 5% or so of each other. If you have two bad cylinders (low compression readings) right next to each other, then good chance it's a blown head gasket. Hopefully, all cylinders read good. If so, pressure test the coolant system.

Also, since you say it's overheating, maybe try running it with no thermostat. Could possibly be simply a stuck thermostat.

IMO, the other likely culprit is a bad gasket, which pressure test will reveal. Did you have the block and heads checked for straightness?

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
MaryBeth

No, to the question about the block and heads. Will look into it. What is a good compression reading for the cylinders?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmmca
.......... What is a good compression reading for the cylinders?
Hard to say what exact PSI number might be, without knowing your engine setup. However, most non-boosted performance engines will be somewhere in 160 to 185 PSI range.

Don't be too concerned with the number itself. It's consistency that you want, for instance, you might see 160, 155, 160, 165, 160, 160, 155, 160. I would consider those numbers acceptable.

If you had one (or more) cylinder at 90 or 110, then you would need to investigate. Squirt oil into bad cylinder and the compression will come up if it's bad rings. If compression still low, then bad valve or gasket.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
MaryBeth

Thanks...hope to do some investigating tomorrow evening....since tonight is a school night...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

2 easy tests for head gasket / coolant type problems would be:

Warm the car up with the rad cap off and the radiator full. Jack the throttle a couple of times while looking into the radiator. Bubbles = leak.
While you're looking, make sure the coolant is flowing.

With the engine running, put you hands behind the tailpipes for a few seconds. If anything is coming out the pipes, it will get on your hands.... coolant... oil... whatever.

Don't run the car a lot unless it's ready to go. I know making some noise is a good way to jack your motivation, but it's really terrible for a new engine. Make sure the mufflers are on (it's real hard to hear "bad noises" with open headers! and the cooling system, fan, shroud, and temp guage are all on and working.

Check your tune. With open headers and the idle speed cranked up, the engine will sound "bad to the bone" with the timing retarded... makes the idle really rough and wicked... but the retarded timing will make it overheat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Do you have any gauges on the car? "Seems to be running hot" that is why I asked. You really need to know what is going on. Your gauges will tell you if there is a problem long before you hear or think there is. What about timing, Where is that set?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
MaryBeth

No, no gauges yet. The only reason we thought it was running hot is because of the paint burning off the headers. Lots of smoke, and the paint is peeling. We got in there and looked closely while it was running, (I'm a brave soul) and I didn't see anything leaking. Valve cover gasket showed no drips. No fresh drips, streams, or splaters under the car or on undercarriage.
No exhaust at this time, just open headers. Don't run regularly, just starting it once a month to make sure everything is okay.

My husband set the timing....I don't have the diagram with me, but at idle it is consistant. No skips or misses. Idles like my 02 Taurus. When revved from the carb, there are no misses either. Just a clean response...

I can try and post pics this weekend, but my preference is to not start the car if I don't have to.

I also realize this is a pretty vague description, and seeing and hearing is everything, but I will look at all suggestions and be as clear as I can with details.

Is it possible that the engine is just running rich or because of old oil? The oil is clean and measuring full, but I don't know how long it has been in the car. I haven't gotten as far as changing the oil yet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

The burning of the header paint is nothing to worry about. Even a perfectly tuned engine will burn the header paint off very soon. Were the headers glowing red? If so that is usually a sign of the timing to far retarded.

Smoke upon start up of a newly built engine is "normal". Without seeing the smoke it is hard to say if it is more than usual or what. How long did you run the engine?

You really should install at least two gauges (bare minimum) Water temp and oil pressure. More is even better.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 07:16 AM

My dad always taught me that white smoke was water being combusted, check your temps and make sure all the pumps are working.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

White smoke is caused water, or transmission fluid being burned in the cylinders. Is the car an automatic or standard. If you've ever had a diapragm rupture in your transmissions vacuum modulator, you won't soon forget the smell.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Another way to tell if its from the coolant system is to smell the smoke/steam.
If you are running the correct mixture, say 40% coolant and 60% water, and if it is in fact a coolant leak into the combustion chamber/s it will have a SWEET smell out the exhaust. But also like Mark C said, If your modulator is bad then the engine vacuum is pulling trany fluid upinto the intake system and then burning it in the combustion chamber. This is an easy check, Remove vac hose from manifold and plug at vacuum tree on manifold. The modulator doesnt do anything while car is sitting still. You will have tolet engine run for a short period to burn away tranny fluid that is sitting in exhaust, But you should start to see a decrease in smoke soon. If thats the problem. Good luck..

Have you hugged your kids today?? Tell them you love them also..
Heaven got a little sweeter. We miss you Mandy..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
MaryBeth

Any volunteers to come to MI? Just kidding (sorta)...Will take a look at all of these things...
The trans is an auto, but not connected at this time. The engine sat for a number of years. All we had to do to get it running was change the module in the distributor and rotate it 180deg. It fired right up.
No to the person who asked if the headers were glowing...will try to get gauges installed this weekend, maybe this evening...Will be doing this by process of elimination. Will post findings sunday night or monday...but please keep the suggestions coming, especially if it hasn't already been mentioned.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 11:53 PM

While you are following all this advice, one thing is extremely important. Monitor your oil. If at any time you notice it starts to have a creme texture, STOP IMMEDIATELY. Chances are water/coolant is burning if you have white smoke. But if it is due to a bad gasket, and it mixes with the oil, your motor will munch itself instantly. Plus, anytime you take anything apart in a motor you should change the oil anyway. That would probably be the best thing to do next anyway. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode