Anyone know anything about Weland blowers? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know anything about Weland blowers?

Curious if anyone knows how they are. I am getting my 68 Camaro deliverd soon and it has a 6-71 Weland Blower on it. Are they pretty reliable? What about performance wise? This is on a 350ci. How do they sound?

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Anyone know anything about Weland blowers?

There's quite a few guys here with 6-71s, Weiands and others. Tokyo Torquer had a 6-71, but I think he's running a different one now.

Think of a blower as a big pump, increasing the efficiency of the engine by pumping more air into the cylinders. If the engine was built properly (relatively low compression and the right cam) and the carbs are set up right (Holleys seem to need a supercharger specific power valve), it should be pretty reliable. Blown motors like a rich mixture.

If you're planning on actually driving it, better check and see if that scoop has filters inside. If it doesn't I'd swap it for one that does.

As far as noise, they make a unique whine. Hard to explain if you've never heard it, but once you've heard it you'll always remember it. Sets the hairs up on the back of my neck just thinking about it...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, well I am used to EFI cars. The car I just sold had and Eaton blower then I replaced that with an ATI F1C. Both are different in sound. The F1 had a lot more power. The whine on the Eaton was pretty cool though.

This is a weekend warrior for me. Never driven in rain. Are the Weland known as a good blower or lower line? The Camaro I am getting has a motor built for a blower.

Jon

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I've done a couple of 454's with the Weiand blowers, very reliable so far.

The performance is instant torque, and if you can hook it to the ground, it can be a rocketship ride.

They sound like one would think a Gilmer-style cogged belt squeezing air out of the pulleys would sound like. You won't sneak up on anybody with it.

This 454 is in a 69 Camaro we did with a Weiand 6-71.

And this is an 8-71 in a 71 Corvette.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

ZZ those motos are both works of art...

Are the Weilands better than Welands. I have never heard of Weland but thats whats on the car that I bought...

This is my Vettes setup now. Killer sound since its a Prototype F1C from ATI. 1 of 3 with a 5.71:1 ratio Made 600rwhp with 4.10s gears and 113 lobe cam.

This was my old setup before I painted it and changed the motor.

Jon
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 08:56 PM
Senior Tech

Weiand has been around a long time, and they are not bottom of the line by any means.

Don - I think Jon is going to be VERY traction limited. I went back and looked at the original post for this 68, and it has a very, very, very high stall (5,000?!?!), this 6-71, and street tires that fit in stock wheel wells.

Jon - I hadn't read the stall speed before just now. If it does stall at 5,000, you are not going to like driving it on the street very much. It will be sluggish and feel like the trans is slipping, and it's going to build a bunch of heat. Does it have a trans cooler?

Eric
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

No idea if it has a trans cooler or not. He says he has no problems with it at all
( Zero overheating). They have been on 300 mile one way trip in it and it was no problem. Slugish huh.. They said it pauses for a sec then it comes in all at once.
I am used to no traction with my vette.
The car has been in his family since 1969. This will be only a street car. I have always been afraid to track my cars cause I have so much $$ into them. LOL

Jon

PS you said Weiland has been around a long time but my blower says Weland on it??
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech

Unless someone has started making cheap ebay knockoffs of 6-71s, I think you are misreading the i as an L.

http://www.holley.com/categories.asp?division=Weiand

Pausing for a sec and then coming in all at once is exactly how a high stall converter feels. For street use it would be a lot more driveable (and quicker) with a much lower stall, say in the 2000-2400 range, if the engine still makes any power down there. You use a high stall on the track and a really high strung motor to allow the engine to get up into it's power before the converter stalls and starts pushing the car forward.

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/Twisting.html

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/tor..._explained.htm

Eric
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

LOL your right Eric. It was hard to read on my PC. I see what your saying.
Do these make that high end whine like an Eaton.

This will be an intresting weekend car...LOL

Jon
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech

High end, low end, middle end. A Roots style blower like that 6-71 makes noise all the time. When the car arrives, you'll have to let us know what you think. As Don noted, you WILL announce your presence with authority.

Click on the wav file on this site (when he gets about 44 seconds into the clip, he moves the mike up to the engine and you can hear the blower).

http://skylane.kjsl.com/~jk/chevelle/

Eric
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 05, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

If you like HP you will love the blower. Weiand has been around a long time. Their blowers are not top of the line, but they are not junk either. Hard to explain in typing. The bottom line is the car should have plenty of torque. If it has a 5000 stall the combo can't be right. With a blower you don't need a bunch of gear or stall, it should make power from idle on up.

As far as reliability as long as you keep a good air filter on the car (never run without one) and keep foreign objects out of the blower you will be fine. Do NOT over tighten the belt, it should be fairly loose when the engine is cold. As the engine/blower gets heat in it the blower will grow and the belt will get tight.

Some blowers are louder than others. I'm not sure what pitch belt you have on this car. If it is an older set-up it is probably 1/2" pitch.

There is really a lot to learn about blown engines, it can't be explained in one reply. Timing is very important and can make all the difference in the world on how it performs or how hot it runs.

Make sure you get all the info you can on the engine (cam specs, compression ratio, what parts are inside, etc..) See if the guy you bought it from will give you tune up info as well (plugs used, gaps, timing, fuel pressure, boost level, etc...) All these things will help you keep tabs on the engine.

The blower belt should last a very very long time, there is not much maintenance to do on the blower. If it doesn't have a pressure relief I would think abouit adding one (this is used to let pressure out after driving the car, the gears in the blower will produce pressure in the front cover) The valve lets you bleed off the pressure at the end of the day, this helps the seals last.

I have a couple sound clips of my blown Camaro if interested. Mine is a little on the "rowdy" side, so I doubt yours will sound the same.

Once you get the car feel free to ask questions. I would be interested to know how much boost it is running, this will make all the difference in the world of how to tune it and what level of performance you can expect.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 07:14 AM

Quote:
If it has a 5000 stall the combo can't be right.
That was the first thing that caught my attention. I said to myself say it aint so. I dont see any reason for a 5000 stall on a roots blown car. That just throws big ? into the mix.
Roots blowers are not High RPM blowers.
What heads are on the car? More than likely they are running out of flow really quick at 5000RPM.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPerfProd
That was the first thing that caught my attention. I said to myself say it aint so. I dont see any reason for a 5000 stall on a roots blown car. That just throws big ? into the mix.
Roots blowers are not High RPM blowers.
What heads are on the car? More than likely they are running out of flow really quick at 5000RPM.
I will try to find out more info soon. I know it has corvette heads and a 350ci block.
Jon
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 05:01 PM

i have a 67 camaro with a 8-71 and i love it... power is unreal. you have no idea what it feels like... just make sure the motor is built for the blower.. there is alot that need to be done to make it all run and perform like it should.. listen to royce he knows it.. do it and you will love it... the looks from people when you are sitting next to them with that big belt spinning around and the whine from the blower are the best ever

enjoy
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The guy that owns it now is the brother-inlaw of the engine builder. He seems to think it has a 4000 stall. He said the car runs 3000rpm at 60. Does that sound right?
If it is a 4000 stall would it be streetable?

Also since I dont work on cars at all how much upkeep does a motor like this need? I am not used to carb motors. I am used to EFIs. Honestly I am a little scared getting it. (Not the power the upkeep)
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode