How low can the oil pressure be on a 327. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 05, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How low can the oil pressure be on a 327.

Does anyone know how low the oil pressure can be at idle on a 327.

It is a high volume oil pump.

thanks.

Chris R. 327, 10.7:1, 68 camaro, 4:56 gears, 4spd,
1.5 roller rockers, edelbbrock RPM heads, Edelbrock performer RPM manifold, HEI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: How low can the oil pressure be on a 327.

General rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000rpm. Minimum 10psi at idle with a max of about 60.
Personally, I would want a minimum of 15-20psi at idle.
Are you using a real gauge or relying on the factory in-dash gauge?

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is a aftermarket gauge, but I am getting around 20psi at idle, but it used to only go to around 30 to 40psi. Max is around 70psi. I was surprised to see it come down some more but maybey its just normal.

Thanks.

1.5 roller rockers, edelbbrock RPM heads, Edelbrock performer RPM manifold, HEI.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

If you're using a mineral oil and it's getting quite hot, there will be a substantial drop in oil pressure at idle. Oil should not exceed 230F for good lubrication.
As for 40psi being your max, I would be concerned if it's a new and sudden change to what pressure you've normally had.
It is posible that the bypass valve's spring in your pump has insufficient tension (needs shimming or replacement, -although this is a long shot), or your oil filter has become clogged -assuming your gauge is reading pressure on the "engine side" of your filter (where it should be).
If your gauge is reading between your pump and filter, you would get a higher and bogus pressure reading from a glogged filter.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

my oil pressure usually goes to around 60 to 70psi when running but at idle it has dropped and it could be that it has been doing it after it has warmed up.

I am using a straight 30 weight oil right now with a can of EOS to help break in. The oil pressure is read off of the top of the rear of the block, just at the end of the intake manifold. I don't really know where the normal place is that the oil pressure is read from.

I think it should be okay.

Thanks.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

That is the factory location for the oil pressure sender. Not sure with small blocks, but big blocks are read in-between pump and filter which is misleading. (CORRECTION.. BBCs are not. They're just not at the optimum location.) Fair enough, this is not your concern right now but something to be aware of.

I would suggest a multigrade oil for more consistant pressures and I'd definitely suggest a full synthetic after you have done your run in.

Is it OK to use EOS when running in? I am not that familiar with it, but thought it was a friction modifier..

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Nov 5th, 05 at 04:03 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I thought that some people have been using the Engine Oil Supplement to run with the oil for the first 500 miles. Maybey it isn't a good thing, and I should be changing the oil to a multigrade. Maybey it doesn't help the engine break in when running it and it should only be use for cam break in.

Any other thoughts on this?

Maybey I will change the oil to a multigrade oil.

Thanks for the info.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 05, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

"How To HotRod Big Block Chevys" mentions EOS and say is very good for a new engine. Especially the cam and lifters. (Page 119)
It's obviously not what I thought it was.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Nov 4th, 05 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 12:04 AM

How many miles have you got on the engine so far. The rules I have always used with great success is EOS during cam break in and first 100 miles, oil change and no EOS until 500 miles, then synthetic there on out. And I always use a multiweight. As far as pressure, what do you have the idle set at? A low idle will mean low pressure. I try to make idle be 30psi or more but I had a 327 last a LONG time that idled at about 10psi.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Arrow Re: How low can the oil pressure be on a 327.

a 1955 to 1967 small block the small journal ones run normal with 10psi idle oil pressure , they have a bit more cold with a fresh oil change but 10psi is normal , a 68 up small block for some reason will tend to have 5 to 10 psi more they will idle from 15 psi to 20 psi ? don't know why , if your motor is a small journal and has 10psi oil pressure at idle and 20 to 30 psi on the road then you are right in the groove and have nothing to worry about , as for myself I do not like the high volume oil pump's ,

1967 RS 327
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 05:46 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradfordchevy1
It is a aftermarket gauge, but I am getting around 20psi at idle, but it used to only go to around 30 to 40psi. Max is around 70psi. I was surprised to see it come down some more but maybey its just normal.

Thanks.
You don't have a problem.

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Maybe I have interpreted that statement incorrectly, but if he's saying it's come down to 40psi max, that sounds like a problem.

Is the maximum now 70psi, or 40psi?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Been gone for awhile so I haven't been able to answer.

My max is still 60 to 70psi. My idle has come down a bit, to maybey around 20psi.

I don't have hardly any miles on it yet and now will not be able to put them on until next summer.

I have about 25 miles on it.

Thanks for all the replys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode