dieseling big block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

dieseling big block

To all, I have a new 434 big block. Comp Cam, Holley Carb (mild street), Headers, 4 speed, MSD dist and Ig.
I am setting the initial timing at 8 with a 28 degree bushing in the dist. When shutting down, the motor wants to stay runnning (dieseling). I have tried several combos but still happening.
The motor runs very well while driving. The temp stays around 182.
I've checked the dist with a high tech light and the total timing is 36 at about 2800 rpm. The idle is set at 850 and the response is very good. The carb is a street avenger.
Does anyone have any suggestions. The last one I got was 'Octane'. I just put 104 octane boost in and will try again tomorrow.
HELP!

Jim Whittaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: dieseling big block

Low octane is a reason for dieseling.. Otherwise, your plugs heat range could be too high, or you may have a large build up of carbon deposits that could cause it too.

Your timing and idle speed sound reasonable.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

I hope your name is Steve. The low octane comment is the second time that I heard that. I am working on that with an octane boost. I added it today. No one has said anything about plugs. How should I order a 'heat range' for the plugs. I have to look at one tomorrow and read the number on the plug. I'll let you know. As far as carbon deposits, the motor has about 10 hours of running and maybe 15 miles. It is really brand new. I'll check the plugs and see how the octane boost alters things. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 10:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Jim,

Some other common causes of dieseling are too much throttle opening or too high of an idle. I would try raising the initial timing to 14-16 degrees which would allow you to lower the throttle blade opening.

Also 104 octane boost will do little to raise octane. Try the timing or lowering the idle speed if possible.

Jody

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 05, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Yes my name is Steve!
If your plugs are too hot, you will be able to tell from very white and blistered porcelain.. Basically if the heat range is too hot, they wont be able to disapate heat and can glow, acting like a glow plug.
The same thing happens with heavy carbon deposits, but you say this is a new engine so I doubt that one.

I think your best sorting your timing and throttle position as suggested with a good fuel.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Messing with the timing won't do anything,..once the key is off, there's no more spark to the plugs. Try:

1) Reducing idle speed.
2) Leaning the idle mixture
3) Cooler plug (I use Autolite 3924's on Alum heads,..you might try 24's on iron heads,..unless you use the big plug,..don't know the number. 26's and 3926's are hotter).

If she still diesels, jet her down a notch or two.

Just a guess, but I'll bet you run 10-11 compression or more. Higher compression aggravates the problem.

Of course, you can always leave her in gear when turning off the motor or let the clutch out slightly.

Good luck!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech

Advancing the initial timing does help sometimes because it allows you to turn the idle down to the point where you're actually using the idle circuit.
From my experience leaning the idle or the primaries only makes things worse. Ever work on one of those late seventies lean burn engines? They were notorious for valve ping and dieseling.
With higher compression you normally have to jet UP not DOWN.
A cooler plug or a plug with a shorter reach on the electrode might help. By that I mean a tip that doesn't extend into the combustion chamber as far.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd agree with Jody and 12run. Bump your initial up to 14, or even 18. Put the black bushing in the distributor, and get the throttles closed more at idle.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I picked up some cooler plugs today but will definitely pick up the 3924's that were suggested tonight. I will try to timing advance and throttle closing suggestion tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.
THanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode