Oil pan or Timing Cover leak?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 05, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Send a message via Yahoo to Howielones
Oil pan or Timing Cover leak??

I changed pans and used a new one piece gasket...cheap oil pan, stock timing cover. There is quite a bit of blue gasket showing between pan and timing cover on the very middle bottom. Everything was torqued properly and I only used hi-temp rtv where the manufacturer reco'd. Anybody experience leaky issues when replacing a stock oil pan with a "pretty" chrome job? I have not rebuilt many motors, but felt unsure of this pan from the start---now I am sure I wanna stock steel pan back on!
No leaks the first couple times firing last week, but today drip drip drip...Oh well at least the stereo sounds nice.(68 Camaro w/ 70 Monte Rebuilt 350)
Thanks in advance...(tried to attach a pic of the pan...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 04:14 PM
Team Member
John

Re: Oil pan or Timing Cover leak??

Do you know for sure whether the chrome pan takes a "thick" or "thin" front seal on the gasket? Did it give any clues on any instructions that came with the pan? It makes a BIG difference, especially on chrome pans that don't seal very well to begin with.

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool Re: Oil pan or Timing Cover leak??

I have stopped using one piece oil pan gaskets. Everyone I have used leaked at the timing cover to oil pan seal. To fix this: Take a BIG flat tip screw driver and a medium size hammer and tap the lip of the oil pan closer to the timing cover. Go back and forth on the lower 3" inches or so and evenly tap up. Go a little at a time. Good Luck

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Dana-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Daily Driver)
1967 C10 Short-Wide 496BB/TH400/12-bolt (The Shop Truck)
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

Chris @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 05:36 PM
Team Member
John

I've used six one-piece pan gaskets in the last three years, and all were dry as a bone (with stock pans and timing covers). Many folks just don't know that there are two different front seal radii on pans, depending on when they were made, and don't know they have to buy the right gasket/front seal to match the pan.

If you don't know which front seal radius you have, flip the pan upside-down on a flat surface (with no gasket) and measure from the flat surface up to the 12 o'clock point on the front pan seal surface. If it measures 2-1/4", it takes the early "thin" (0.22") front seal; if it measures 2-3/8", it takes the late "thick" (0.41") front seal. All stock pans made prior to 1975 take the "thin" seal. All production pans from '75-up and all service replacement pans (for any year application) manufactured after 1975 take the "thick" seal. No telling what the no-name Taiwan chrome pans take - you have to measure them, or you'll have a leaker.

JohnZ
CRG
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I am with John on this one. I have used several 1 piece gaskets and have never had an issue. I think they are the best thing going.

Are you sure the gasket wasn't too thick to slide up into the timing cover? Is it a stock timing cover?

"Re-forming" the lip of the pan "might" work and since it is an overseas pan there is a good chance that's the problem.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Okay, READ THE POST guys. He used a chrome pan. Please read this. Alot of after market pans are NOT dimentionally correct. Using the one-piece gasket on one of these pans can cause a leak.

Trust me, I have seen it. I have pulled the one-piece gaskets out, used conventional style gaskets in thier place and walla, no leak.

Fancy racing pans like Moroso and Milodon seen to be the worst.

Stock pans seam to seal correctly.

Yes there are two pan dimensions. Most everyone knows that.

I was trying to give advice to fix his problem with his engine IN THE CAR. When was the last time yall tried to change an oil pan gasket while the engine was in the car? Not an easy task.

I am glad yall had good luck with those gaskets. I have not. I have experianced the situation in the original post. Hence, the fix I had mentioned. I have corrected two leaking engines with that procedure.

Howielones, I wish you luck on your car getting the leak fixed.

Chris @
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Chris, Did you even read my post? If so you might want to re-read the last line.

I have used the one piece gasket with stock pans, Milidon, and on my Kevco pan. "IF" it is done right they will not leak. What do you think the difference is with the one piece and the 4 piece? The dimensions are the same. The difference is usually people use goop of some sort with the 4 piece. Have you ever installed a 4 piece set dry? Did it leak? I know some guys use "goop" with one piece gaskets as well. I have had good luck installing them dry. If the timing cover is tight, I will use a little grease on the gasket to help it slide into place.

Yes, I have done oil pan gaskets in the car. Not easy, but doable.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howie

Send a message via Yahoo to Howielones

JohnZ---I am certain now it takes a thick gasket. I remember thinking I didnt get much "squish" when torquing the bolts toward the front. But I will pull it and measure if I cannot squish it with Motorheads idea.
Camaroman--It fit up into the stock timing cover...but did not stay tight.
And Motorhead I will try tapping the way you describe first..as I might want a diff pan anyway, so if your method doesnt do it for me I will spend Satday fixing her up.
I truly appreciate the advice and help...looks like my taiwan special is not correct for this gasket/timing cover. Will let yall know my final outcome!
Cheers

68 plain old stocker Maro. 350/350 LeMans Blue, Black insides...496 in the garage waiting
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool Re: Oil pan or Timing Cover leak??

I didn't mean to step on toes. If I offeneded sorry!!!!!!!!!! I was trying to help. I have worked on so many cars through the years that I have come to beleive and understand that in my opinion there are NO ABSOLUTES!

Happy Hot Rodding!!!!!

Chris @
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Chris,
I was not offended in any way. There is usually more than one way to get a job done. I agree there are no absolutes. I have a few cars under my belt as well, but we can always learn something new.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode