Feedback on zz454 crate motor please - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 05, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Feedback on zz454 crate motor please

HI could help me out on any info on the zz454 gm high performance crate motor
I brought a new one ,they have alloy heads forged pistons ect ,i have tryed several times to find out how good these engines are got very little feedbac
Going to use small shot nitrous ,street strip car ,why do alot off people dead against gm crate motors in some of the threads and fourms on the net ?

what should i whatch outfor on this zz454 please give me some info thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Feedback on zz454 crate motor please

Quote:
Originally Posted by victtor
...why do alot off people dead against gm crate motors in some of the threads and fourms on the net ?

thanks
Because they haven't bothered to purchase and use one yet

I do quite a few Marine application build-ups. A lot of these people don't really know engines specifically - they just want performance and as much reliability as they can get.
The GM performance crate engines fill this need perfectly
I can't do a mild performance build up on a 'core' engine for the prices I can get a GM H.O., ZZ or simular engine for - period. And I get these boats back in the water under throttle quickly - like the owners want. The last two ZZ454's I ordered from Scroggins-Dickey cost me under $6k each - delivered to California!

The 'ZZ' engine you have is basically an Aluminum Headed version of the 454 H.O. engine.
It has the same Forged Crank, Rods and Pistons and is the newer Gen. VI block type.
The heads have the larger 2.19/1.88 valves and the later, non-adjustable, valve train components. You can easily retrofit the heads to 7/16" screw-in studs and aftermarket rocker systems if you want to in the future.

"what should i whatch outfor on this zz454 please give me some info"
The only area I do not run 'out-of-the-box' is the Oil system.
I would remove the pan, disassemble the oil pump (remove the pick-up screen and then the gear cover - leave the pump body attached to the main cap...) and check the Pressure Relief Spring to make sure it is the HP one - should have a 'green' paint stripe or mark - if not, order a #3876866 spring from your local dealer and install when you reassemble.
BUT, before you do that... the Oil Pick-up Screen is not welded to the base plate of the pump from the factory - it should be - so, reinstall the pump gear cover with a couple screws, install the pick-up screen just tight enough to stay in place with slight angle up (I'm assuming the engine is on a stand 'up-side-down' at this point...) and then reinstall the oil pan WITHOUT the pan gasket - this will push the screen down to the level it should be to allow proper clearance to the bottom of the pan with the gasket installed - NOTE: I usually push the oil screen down (toward the crank) just a hair more - @ 1/16~1/8" to give me the clearance I want to see. THEN - remove the couple of bolts you used to hold the gear cover to the pump and take the assembly (gear cover and screen) to the bench to tack weld the Pick-up Screen to the Oil Pump Gear Cover - make sure you didn't leave any parts in the cover - the pressure spring and parts should still be out on the bench at this point or they could be ruined by the heat of welding - although, you really shouldn't get the cover/screen assembly very hot just tacking the two together. The 'weld' shouldn't be longer than 3/8" - just run a 3/16~1/4" bead where the screen meets the cover...
Now reassemble the gear cover assembly with the correct spring, washer and pin and reinstall it on the Oil pump.

Also try to keep the oil temps down as much as you can. I almost always install a cooler. GM makes several adapters and has some systems available that can be adapted to your car. Don't overlook a trip to the wrecking yard to search the truck section for oil cooler radiators and adaptors on some of the BB applications that wind up there - I've found some nice pieces to base a system off of on 3/4~1 ton's with both Big and Small block chevy/GMC.

You shouldn't have to worry about the oil system much now...

The Cam (#24502611) in this engine is one of the 'Marine' style units and works quite well.
If you are looking for more output from the flow abilities of these heads on this unit I would recommend you consider installing the #12366543 cam, if you are looking for more performance in the upper RPM ranges with a GM part.
There are also many aftermarket dual pattern cams this engine would respond well to.

"Going to use small shot nitrous ,street strip car"
I've seen these engines run alot of hours even with power-adder systems on them - I don't forsee any problems for you if they are installed correctly.

Hope some of this helps - and other chime in
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Feedback on zz454 crate motor please

THANKS vintage 68 4 feedback on zz454 did not think i was going to find anyone out there that had any hands on time with these zz454s
I think i am the only one in me country thats got a zz454 live in new zealand no one knows nothing about zz454s , forgot to tell u in previous thead i put a milidon 7 quart oil pan and pickup which is bolted on ,a comp cams hyd roller cam 230/236 [50] 530 lift ,airgap manifold ,hope u check the engine fourm reguraly will have more ques for u thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 06:26 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Re: Feedback on zz454 crate motor please

I purchased an HO 454 motor last year and installed it in my 68 Nova with th400 ad 4.10 gear. The motor was a dog! I really think the 8.75 to 1 comp is too low for an engine with those big port heads and the cam is not much. Ended up pulling engine and using a pair of Edelbrock Performer heads that we milled, the 502/502 cam, Air Gap Performer RPM and hooker comp headers. That woke the motor up! These things need at least 9.5 or 10.0 comp to have some snap IMO...I didn't know aout those upgrades on the oil pump, wish I did. If I had it to do over again we would just use the stock GM 4 bolt block and build from there. You can get more HP for the same $$ or less with this route. Those heads will support cams with .600 lift and a well engineered ca/head combo with decent compression is the key to getting those BB to run...

wilma

02 Berger 380hp 6spd red/white conv/Lots of L78 Novas.....69 SS350 Camaro..Karen's new addition!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Feedback on zz454 crate motor please

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78
I purchased an HO 454...
The motor was a dog! I really think the 8.75 to 1 comp is too low for an engine with those big port heads and the cam is not much...
and a well engineered ca/head combo with decent compression is the key to getting those BB to run...

wilma
Ahhhh - increased compression that's something I forgot to mention about the 'ZZ454'...
Luckily GM listened to some early feedback on these engines and decided to increase it to @9.7:1 in the later ZZ and other versions.
This really wakes up these engines in the lower RPM ranges and they still perform well on pump fuels.
The 'Big Oval' aluminum 'ZZ' heads with the big valves do flow very well and, as you suggested, they will stand more cam without any other changes. This is why I suggested the 'bigger' GM cam in my post - it works well with this engine. The GM '453' roller cam is the one used in the 502/500 and has 224/230 [email protected], 110 LSA and just a couple 'thou' more lift - it's a good GM choice IMHO.
The Crane #169611 roller for the Gen. VI is almost the same duration at 0.050, but it has a higher lift by @0.030/0.040 than the GM unit and it's also 110 LSA. This cam is used in many of the HP 500+ Mercruiser BB's (Merc. #2409-848491)

They also respond well to most of the aftermarket 'power-adder' stuff available. I know of a Blown 'HO454' that is running the stock compression on pump fuel and does very well in the street driven vehicle it's in.

"You can get more HP for the same $$ or less with this route." - my point exactly...
I think I build very good performance engines - so can GM and for a very attractive price
I look at their offerings first in many cases for customers before I commit the time and expense to build the bottom end myself.

btw - so you're in NZ Victor flown over it a couple of times but haven't got to visit there yet... I'll be listening for that ZZ454 when I do

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Nov 10th, 05 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in