New Engine left with questions..Cam help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New Engine left with questions..Cam help needed

Well I have just rolled the 500 mile marker on my new 383 and I am left wondering... I just don't think that the power levels I was looking for are there. I wanted a 500hp 500tq street monster but the seat of the pants tells me it is not there. So I was wondering if the cam I chose might not be the best.

Here are the specs on the combo

383 10.5-1 comp
AFR 195 heads.. ported flow 278in 210 ex
Comp Magnum hydrolic Roller Cam #12-450-8
750 Holley HP series carb. (stock out of the box)
Air Gap intake.
Th 350 with Caon 3000 converter
12 bolt w/ 3.55 cogs
For a fuel system I ran -8 An from a sump in the tank
to the mech fuel pump. It is an Edelbrock 130 gph.
THe exhaust sys is a 1 3/4 long tube headders in to a 3.5 collector and 3 in system that has 40 series flows and an x-pipe.

Now the engine still needs some tuning.. it has a date with the dyno soon and only that will tell. If I had to guess I would say I am somewhere near 375- 400hp. THe engine runs and idels fine. It pulls hard to about 6300 and then the cam runs out. I have the rev kit so no valve float. I know that tuning can give allot so I am not gonna change anything till I get a good tune but I was just day dreaming here looking for more power. Also I need to get my fuel pressure gague hooked up so I can see if there is a pressure drop on WOT. I thought about a Comp cams XE series cam because of their more agressive ramp speeds. Ok below you will find the specs for the cam I have.

Here are the specs from the cam card.
Gross lift .560in 560 ex
duration at .006 Tappel Lift 286 in 286 ex
Valve timing INT 37* BTDC 69* ABDC
EXT 77* BBDC 29* ATDC
The cam has a 106 Intake centerline.

Intake Exhaust
Duration at .050 230 230
LSA 110*

Ok so what would the perfect cam be for my set up? THe only guide lines that I have is that it be a Hydrolic Roller.

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy Re: New Engine left with questions..Cam help needed

no love? No one wnats to help??

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 05, 10:05 AM

Re: New Engine left with questions..Cam help needed

Sounds like you need more duration. 230 @.50 for a 383 is not very large. A 245-250 @.50 would be more the ticket. Also, has the existing cam been degreed? If not, it could be advanced, causing you to run out of steam at 6300. My blown big block used a hydraulic roller: 612 I & E, 256 264 @.50, and peaked at 6200 RPM, 114 degree lobe center because of the blower. It was a great street cam, and would idle at 1000 RPMS all day, even with two honkin carbs. The cam should be heads up, and the duration increased IMO. You also want to be sure that your power loss is not due to fuel or lack thereof. Not sure if you have checked the jetting on the carb, but it could also be running lean on the top end at 6300. Make sure you have an adequate fuel pump. Alot of guys rebuild the engine and make it hot, and use the same fuel system. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode