Vacuum hose routing - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Vacuum hose routing

I have added a 4 bbl Q-jet and Performer intake (no oil fill tube) to my '67 327. I intend to use valve covers with holes that will allow me to run PCV valves/oil fillers/breathers as neccesary. The carb that I have is from a 68 Camaro and it has a PCV valve(?) protruding from back of the baseplate and a large hose outlet that looks like it would fit a PCv hose out the front. The AIM shows the road draft attached to the fwd port, with a PCV valve in the middle of the hose, but does not mention the aft vacuum port. Are they the same vacuum source? Does it matter which one I use? Once I connect the road draft to a vacuum csource, what else do I need to do to complete the system? Also, what does this tube do?

'67 convertible 210HP 327/Powerglide (not anymore!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 08:58 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Vacuum hose routing

Your '67 has a road draft tube which went to the base of the air cleaner I believe. The pcv valve had a hose going to a fitting on the manifold mounted filler tube or the breather cap on the tube. I believe that's correct but someone will correct me if not. The idea was fresh air was drawn into the crankcase through the road draft via the air cleaner and vacuum from the carb pulled air from the crankcase through the filler tube and the pcv valve which regulated the pcv system which is actually a controled vacuum leak used to pull gasses from the crankcase.

Don't connect vacuum to the road draft tube. Find a way to connect it to the base of your air cleaner of put a breather on it. Then connect the pcv valve on the carb to a hose that connects to the driver side valve cover. That will complete your pcv system... Add an oil filler cap to one of the valve covers and you are done.

As for the copper tube near the divoriced choke on the carb I believe it's a vent tube and is not a vacuum port... Not 100% on that though.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

DjD is correct on the routing of the original PCV system. My 67 had the PCV valve threaded into the oil fill tube and connected with a hose to the front of the carb. The road draft tube connected to the rear of the air cleaner base.

When using valve cover vents, the vacuum source for the PCV valve is usually the front port on the carb. The rear port (where the PCV valve is on your carb) is usually used for the brake booster (if you have power brakes). If you don't need the rear port, plug it with a pipe plug.

The port on the right side of the carb is a manifold vacuum port usually used for a vacuum operated thermal air cleaner. Again, if you don't use it, plug it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 05, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Thanks guys. Just FYI, when I got the car it was a very stock looking 210/327 (2bbl carb/intake) but there are no fittings on the oil filler tube tube or the air cleaner assembly. It did have a breather type cap on the oil filler tube but it looks aftermarket to me. I believe the road draft was attached to a vacuum port at the base of the rear of the of the 2 bbl carb, but I'm not 100% sure.
If the vacuum coming from the base of the carb is the same from the front and rear, I may try to swap the pcv valve so I can use the rear for for my brakes and the front for the pcv system.. Seems neater that way.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 11:16 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I don't think connecting a vacuum source to teh road draft was right but what ever you do you don't want the road draft tube to be left open to dust and debris. Maybe a small breather filter can be made to fit it. I would get the proper fitting for your manifold to run the brake booster vacuum directly off the manifold runner behind the carb. You can see it's plugged in your pic.

If you get a copy if the AIM for your car (assembly instruction manual) you'll find drawings showing how it was from the factory if you are trying to match it. I know you are going to be half way between a '67 and a '69 with that mainfold but if might give you some insight.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode