350 Header help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

350 Header help

Can anyone tell me what would be a good header to put on my SS. The collector on the pass side header had rusted through and I went and purchased a set in beltsville MD but they don't fit. The header is a Dynomax full length # 85001 or 58001, I think. The Problem With the header is that when they are bolted to the block the primary tube for the number 4 cylinder literally covers the plug wire and burns it. I havent put the driver side on yet because I'm really thinking about taking them back and exchanging them but here's where the problem lies. Which brand will fit properly? Can any of you help me out with this? The car is a 67 SS 350, no air, no pwr brakes or steering. I believe that the steering box is a saginaw.

Thanks in advance,
GENE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: 350 Header help

If you're looking for 1-5/8", tubes, I highly recommend Hedman,..I have the coated version, part # 68276. I've tried the Dynomax header you're using,..I thought it was the number 6 plug that was ridiculously close to the tube,..but might have been number 4 as you say.

Regardless, you'll enjoy a much better fit around the plugs and everything else with the Hedmans'.

Two thumbs up.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

Your right it was the #6 Plug, my mistake. Will they provide a better fit even with 8.5MM Super Conductive HEI wires? Should I worry about the steering box at all?

Thanks for the quick response
GENE

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

These Hedmans will fit with any plug wire you choose (with a 90 degree boot). Plenty of clearance everywhere,..even the starter which means no 'heat soak' problems.

Good luck!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 09:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I just noticed the Hooker headers I bolted up a few weeks ago seem to have the same issue on the passenger side. There is a notch in the primary tube for the boot but I think it is too close, although the wire boot is not burned at all. Maybe the Jet Hot coating is saving it?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

OK, I just got back from returning the Dynamax headers and put in an order for Headman Street Headers part number 68270. They are the same as you mentioned, Straight-line-69, but they're painted instead of the HTC coating. I'll get them in by Mon and let everyone know how they fit.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

You won't be disappointed,..also, I was able to install these without removing the steering box. Just get the car way up and bring'em in from underneath.

Good luck!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 05, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

You will likely be disappointed in the Heddmans if your experience is anything like mine. I bought some full length, ceramic hedders from Heddman. I was in a bind for time and had to make them fit my 69 that we were doing a frame-off on. We ended up beating the h--- out of the driver's side in order to make it clear the steering box (power steering). I don't mean just a little hammering-I mean having to indent the tube at least a 1/2 inch deep by about 3 inches long. We also had to beat on it on the other side (but not as much) to get it to clear the a/c suitcase. Your car may not be p/s or a/c and they may go on fine. However, you guys with these options-I would stay away from this brand. You don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling beating on new $450 hedders.
Mike

69Mike
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 05, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech

I have Hedman's on a small block 68 Camaro without power steering and I didn't need to hammer anything. It must be something about power steering.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 05, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

69Mike,..what Hedman part number did you purchase?...and were they 1-5/8's or 1-3/4's tubes?

I've installed these Hedmans on three 69's with varying options inluding PS and AC,..absolutely no issues with fit. I've installed Dynomax on one car (bad as noted above) and Hookers on another,..fit ok, but don't give the plug, oil filter, and starter clearance of the Hedman's.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 05:00 AM
Senior Tech

I will have to look at the invoice. I bought these through Summit and remember confirming that the part received was the part ordered. I will tell you that the ceramic coating is tough. It never cracked even after having the stuffing beat out of it. I will advise. 69Mike

69Mike
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

OK, I just got the headers home from the store and haven't had a chance to put them on yet (too dark outside). From what I see so far, they look just like the pair that I have on them already. The #6 primary tube looks to come out farther than the dynomax and on the driver side everything looks like it will fit around the steering box.

Straight-line-69, when you got your set of headers did the gaskets come in one piece or two? The gaskets that are sealed with my headers are folded and broken in two. It's not a big deal and I could still use them but I'm just wondering if that is just the way they send them.

Also has anyone done a rack and pinion conversion yet? Steeroids from Speed Direct or Flaming River?

Gene
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

I don't recall the gaskets being folded or two-piece,..but I usually chuk them anyway and use good Fel-Pro's

Good luck!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 04:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

use HEDDMAN HTC coated.

they seem to fit the best .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 10:51 AM
Bill

Gene,
Dont know exactly where you are located but, it might not be a bad idea to see if a machine shop or someone close to you has a head you can sit on a bench and bolt the headers to. Thats what I do to see if they will fit. Its a lot less trouble than bolting them on the car and then trying the plugs. Of course, it wont tell you if it clears the steering etc.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode