366 Big Block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

366 Big Block

---I bought a block for my brother last night, but noticed that one of the cranks he had was a four inch stroke(366 has a 3.76 stroke) and had been turned down .001. And the other wasn't marked(with a marker) at all but did find these numbers cast on them.
The one that we know is a 4" crank had GMT 2(there made have been another number but the stamping wasn't very good) and 7416.
On the other I found GMT 60 and 6223.
I'm not sure if that is enough info, but was all I could find on them.
---My seond question is this. Will the 366 accept a 4" stroke? If so what would that be with just the standard bore? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: 366 Big Block

7416 454 forged 6223 396 forged.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 05, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Where can I find that information out. I'm not second guessing you at all. I looked for that and couldn't find any info on it. Thanks for the help. Jason

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

WWW.Mortec.com

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 07:32 AM

Smile Re: 366 Big Block

Heck, I bet the 366 block will probably swallow a 4.25" crank just fine!

Might have to do some grinding, but I kinda doubt it. (Fwiw, it has a 3.935" bore vs a 454 at 4.25"!)..

My '75 454 P/U block did!

Only problem is that even with a .125" overbore and the 4.25" crank, you only make an undersquare 434" motor. (Undersquare means that the stroke is longer then the bore is wide is all. Great for low rpm torque!)..

Using a 454 with a .100" overbore, you make a 505.5" oversquare motor so why walk away from the cubes? (Oversquare means that the bore is wider then the stroke is long, better high rpm capability!!)...

pdq67

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 05, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Thanks for all the help. The reason for not wanting more cubes is because he really doesn't need/want massive cubes due to the fact that it is going into an 82 cj7(hopefully I can talk him into getting a camaro or at least a nova!!!). The reason I wanted to know if it will accept the 4" stroke is I figured if I was going to spend money on a crank, I would spend it on the "better" one if they cost the same. A 454 is pretty much out of the question for him, but I'm trying to build my 402 and everyone keeps refering to a 454. I wouldn't mind AT ALL to build a 454, but I can't find one for reasonible $. I found one today for 450$ which seems pretty steep to me, yet alot of people say they are easy to find. Is this a reasonable price? Are there certain vehicles that were equiped with a 454 that most people over look(pick and pulls are pretty well picked through around here)? Or should I just build the 402 and hope for the best? Thanks again for the help. Jason Hopson
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 05, 04:12 PM
wes

If your wanting to put the 4" stroke crank in the 366 block, It should work fine as long as you have the correct balancer and flexplate or have the assembly balanced. I think you may have a problem with the pistons. Please correct me if I'm wrong but 454's or 4" crank motors have different pin placement in the pistons to allow for the crank throws. You may have to have a custom set of pistons made for your motor. You would probably want to do this anyway because of the truck 366 piston weight.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 05, 06:57 PM

Thumbs up Re: 366 Big Block

Right-on Wes!

Good point.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode