What machine work should I have done to y block and heads? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 05, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

What machine work should I have done to y block and heads?

Hey guys I am picking up a 454 with 781 heads tomorrow. But I need to decide what machine work I need. This is going to be kind of long, but I would rather ask now since i have never done it before than find out to late.

First of all what machine work should i have done to the block? I know I need it magnafluxed, hot tank, bored out. But I am wondering if I should use a torque plate when boring? Should I have it alined honed? Also someone told me that I should have the lifter bores cleaned up because that is a problem on big blocks. Is it worth the extra money for the aline hone and troque plate?
Is there anything else I should have done?

The heads are bare so I am going to have larger valves put in. But should i have them do a full port or do a gasket match and a little bowl work done? Or tell me what you think I should do.

I am looking to make 500-550HP. But might want a little more later so I don't know what I need done to the heads. I don't want to skimp, but don't want to spend more than I need to. This i sort of a budget build.

Any and all help is welcome.

thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 05, 06:47 PM

Re: What machine work should I have done to y block and heads?

torque plate - Yes
alined honed - Have it checked if it needs it have it done
lifter bores - Definately check this if running a Flat Tappet cam Solid or Hyd. Roller cams solve this unless something is way out here.
Quote:
Is it worth the extra money for the aline hone and troque plate?
Definately worth it in my opinion if your building a "Performance" based engine. If you think about this like the foundation of your new home. A budget home or a mansion will come down if the slab isnt done correctly.
Quote:
Is there anything else I should have done?
I would have the deck checked just to make sure all is true and square. If it isnt have it done.
Quote:
The heads are bare so I am going to have larger valves put in. But should i have them do a full port or do a gasket match and a little bowl work done? Or tell me what you think I should do.
No need for a full blown port job I would have under the valves cleaned up (which you can do if you have a little time and a Dremel, Directions are on the net). Intake ports could be cleaned up to match the gaskets but at 550hp its not needed unless they are way off on the top of the ports. This is usually not the case.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 05, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: What machine work should I have done to y block and heads?

Consider the cost of what you want done to your heads. Big valves, new seats, guides, port work, springs, retainers, locks etc.. It may be only slightly dearer to buy some nice assembled aftermarket heads.

If it's a MkIV 454, I would definitely have the lifter bores checked. The tooling was never consistant on these.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode