Engine build help (327) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Engine build help (327)

Right now I have a 327 in my Camaro, the motor was in the car when we got it and runs fine so I'm leaving it alone for now. Here is what I know about the engine.
'68 327 small journal block
ported and polished 2.02 1.60 heads
hydraulic lifters
B&M 144 blower
Holley 750 double pumper
I would like to replace the motor in the car with a 4 bolt 327, I know they didnt make one, but I was told I could just put a 327 crank in a 350 block? I would like to have Forged everything in the motor, and I want to tune the blower to put out about 10-11 pounds of boost. I want to keep the same heads, but what kind of lifters should I run, also should I change over from the stamped rockers to roller rockers? How will this affect driveabilty? I plan on driving the car pretty often but still take it to the track. I dont really mind the horrible gas mileage or anything, its just part of driving a high performance car . Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 08:26 PM

Smile Re: Engine build help (327)

First off, a '68, 327 will have medium journal crank in it.

And yes, you can drop a medium journal 327 crank in a 350 4-bolt main block and there you go. Try to find a mid '70's/'80's P/U 4-bolt main block... There should be a million of them out there??

pdq67

PS., and fwiw, everything '67, except the '67, 350 motor on back is small journal and when '68 rolled around, they all converted to the medium journal cranks.

And the 400 is a large main journal SB..

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Thumbs up Re: Engine build help (327)

You can make your block either a 4-bolt with new 4-bolt caps and keep the block you have, and install 4-bolt splayed caps etc. on it. This way you can save the original block. That is if it is original to the car.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 04:02 AM
Banned

Re: Engine build help (327)

On the small journal block the only 4 bolt cap to put on is the splayed cap as there is not much webbing to put on a standard 4 bolt cap. We have done a lot of the splayed caps on the 327 blocks over the years as the caps make a much more reliable engine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Thumbs up Re: Engine build help (327)

Thanks Carl, for the "heads up" on the webbing. I wondered about that after posting. Is their enough material on a large journal ? (or medium as PDQ states !)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode