Chrome online? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 05, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Chrome online?

Can you guys recommend a good honest chroming company? I just bought a serpentine setup with all steel brackets and would like to get them chromed, but I have heard horror stories about picking chrome guys out of the phone book. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Chrome online?

where do you live?
kenny
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 08:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Talk to local body and restoration shops and get it done local to avoid the pitfalls of and expense of shipping. Imagine shipping a bumper and getting it back and it's not to your liking. The shop wants it back to make you happy but the shipping is on you not to mention the added time...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Dennis is right on the money. I know of a couple of guys that tried to ship out chrome work. The work was poor quality and some parts came up missing. The little you might save could easily be lost in parts and/or shipping. I have been hunting around for a decent chrome shop myself and I even looked online. If I were to ship it out I would send it to www.starbritechromeplating.com the only reason I say that is becasue they "appear" to be a good honest shop. I am just very very leary to send out my parts and not be able to look the people in the eye. Some of the parts I will be getting chromed are not easily replaced, so that could be a little different than your situation.

I will try to stick to a shop within driving distance. Either way you go make sure you take pictures of what you send and inventory it all. You also want good chrome not the cheap stuff that will peel, flake, rust in no time. The good process is a three step deal, go to the link I listed above and they have good info on the different processes (there is more than one type of chrome plating).

I hope that helps.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
I will try to stick to a shop within driving distance...
The good process is a three step deal, go to the link I listed above and they have good info on the different processes (there is more than one type of chrome plating).
67' - let others know where you are and they can make recommendations for the work you need.
Don't overlook 'Powder Coat' (ceramic 'chrome' is available) for a great look and durability at a good price...

Royce - have you checked out San Joaquin Plating in Lodi?
They have a web site - www.sanjoaquinchrome.com - I think... their phone number is 209.365.9694 and they will quote common parts over phone for you.
They also do polishing of stainless trim.

Hope this helps;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

John,
I think they are out of business. I plan on taking a trip down to Delta Plating later this week to get an estimate and hopefully leave the parts with them. I have seen their work and it's good quality. I know a motorcycle dealer that used the place in Lodi and last time I checked with them (about a month ago) they told me, the shop was being shut down.

I will give them a call and double check. Well I just called them and they are open, hummmm. Have you ever done business with them? Do they do good work? Decent price?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well I live just outside of Dallas, so finding just any chrome shop should be easy. I hope someone here can recommend one near me as I am alot more comfortable going on a recommendation!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 04:02 PM

Hey Ill check with my dad he lives in Grand Prarie and has had a ton of chrome work done for his show truck. Aparently it looks good hes won a ton of 1st place trophies.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I had a small load done last year at Quality Plating in Sterling, IL. I sent a box of stuff, with pics of what I sent. They were on time and on budget. I chose to pick the stuff up, it was well packed for shipping and everything was there, lotsa small stuff, brackets, bolts, all present and accounted for. Biggest item was the hood hinges, they did a good job on everything. I can't seem to find the website, they have a pretty good site with pricing and such. Phone # is 815-626-5223.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 05, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim! and Awesome car! love it... I may in fact try shipping it out if I can't find someone half-assed intelligent sounding around Dallas. Hey TPP, please do check with your dad if ya don't mind. Thanks all!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 05, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coupe
I may in fact try shipping it out if I can't find someone half-assed intelligent sounding around Dallas.
Remember to CYA. Take good pics of everything you send (anywhere, anytime) Include a copy of the pictures in the box, so the vendor KNOWS you can prove what you sent them, make a complete list, and get a written quote in advance. When I sent my stuff, many of the items (pulleys, hood hinges) were on their web price list. For items that were not, I emailed them pics of the items and had them provide me a written quote based on the pics. Always better safe than sorry.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 05, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Chrome online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d
John,
Have you ever done business with them? Do they do good work? Decent price?
Yup - 4~5 times so far. My other 'go-to' place was in the so. bay and shut down @4years ago - you know BAQMD/Hazmat/EPA stuff - so I wasn't surprized to hear onother one was closed...
Must be something about the 'chromium' (and other heavy metals) and acids they don't like...

I was very impressed with the stainless polishing they did and their chrome work was as good as any I've seen recently.
They do 'Tri-plate' for most items (copper/nickle/chrome) and the surfaces were very smooth and well prepped.
I think they were also getting into other finishes that last time I was over there.
I have a bumper from the F-100 and a couple other pieces setting in the garage to get over there in the next month or so - no hurry, just need them by spring.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 05, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Good info John. I plan to take a trip down there tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I will let you know how it goes. I am in no rush either, but it would be nice to have it done and waiting.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode