Is this engine toast? with Pics. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Is this engine toast? with Pics.

Tore down the original numbers engine for my car. Doesn't look good. Distributor drive snapped off of the oil pump, cracked a main cap and the distributor shaft is bent in the block.Also where the shaft runs down is busted up. What do you think happened here? Enginw will turn over by hand. To bad, i think its junk.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a214/s...f-body/engine/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 03:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Is this engine toast? with Pics.

You can replace the cracked rear main cap. Just be sure to have the block line honed. First remove the rear main cap and drive out the remains of the distributor. Then have the block thoroughly cleaned and checked out.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 03:56 PM

Definately repairable if thats all thats wrong.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Man,that baby looks rough...where was it,under water?

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Are you guys seeing the hole opening where the distributer shaft goes down? Is that the block thats cracked or part of the distributer? Im not sure if it sat out and got rain in it or if it has a crack in the block or heads but there was water in the oil pan. Any ideas on how to evaluate the condition of this thing would be helpful. I hate to toss it if its saveable. Whats the white powder?
[IMG][/IMG]

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 06:10 PM
JDL

That is part of the distributer and the white powder is oxidized alumimum from the distributer.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 06:14 PM

I agree the part you are asking about is the aluminum housing if the dist.The white powder could be several different things.I would have every thing checked out real good at the machine shop and go from there.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Where would i find another main cap?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 06:23 PM

the machine shop will have one or can get one BUT you WILL have to have the block line bored because of the new cap.I would buy all new caps and then you will know what you have.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

looks like the dist drive gear took out the bottom of the cylinder.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 07:32 PM
Bill

Chris,
Hate to say it like this but jeeez that engine looks rough I have seen a lot of rusted up parts, but that is probably the worst one I have seen. The broken cap can be fixed, but it is a pain to try and find a cap that will match even close, especially the thrust surfaces. It can be done with a new cap but it will not be cheap. The other issues I see just from your picture are the lifter bores all rusted up etc. The only way to tell for sure is to tear it down and have your machine shop take a look. Most shops I know of would probably not even want to look at it, but it is the original numbers matching engine, so it should be worth at least a try.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 07:37 PM

Shoddy that engine looks ROUGH Unless you just had to have it I think I would leave it alone.That little chunck you see missing isnt really gonna hurt anything only the piston skirt comes down there and it will probably miss that all together.But I still wouldnt put any money in it unless you really want to run it cause its numbers matching JMHO.It still can be salvaged from the pics Ive seen though.Good luck

RC
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hate to say it, Chris, but I think that might be best as a nice orange hollow engine on a stand under a sign that says: 68 Convertible original engine.
You could make it pretty on the outside, nobody would even know it was hollow.
wonder wehat kinda shape the "guides" that hold the distibutor in place are in?m Any idea what happened to it?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Jim,not sure what happened. Maybe the oil pump locked up? I'm not going to mess with it.Good idea about making it a display Jim. I wasn't goint to run it in the car,I have another engine i just wanted to have it since it is original to the car.But its only a 327 low hp 2barrel so its not like its anything super special.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 05, 09:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

it would still look cool. dress it exactly as stock. you could put it in the living room! mount a sheet of heavy glass on the air cleaner and make it a coffee table! (oops, think I'm getting carried away...)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode