454 new buildup openions needed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 05, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

454 new buildup openions needed

Hello all,
I just purchased a used 454 2 bolt bare block casting number 14015445 Hi Performance Pass which came with a crank. I do not have heads, intake or cam yet. This is where I need your help. I want to maintain streetability because my car is going to look totally stock and original. I do want to have a lot of power. I am thinking 450 to 500 if possible. I talked to a machinest that discouraged me from going with the rectangle port heads. He has talked me into looking for some 049's. Are there any other that would work? Once I decide on the heads I can figure out what pistons I need. I will want to run on pump gas. Where I really need your help is on the cam specs and the intake. I was reading about the 3863143 option you could have purchased from GM back in the day that yeilded 425 hp on the LS6. I would like something like this. What heads were with this? I don't want to have too rough of an idle but a small stall won't bother me any. I am thinking about 1600 or 1700 max. I want to maintain low end power. I have a th-400 that I can put what ever converter in that I need. I also don't have the rear end yet so no restrictions on gearing there. As far as intake I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM but I am told it won't fit under my SS hood. Another minus about the Edelbrock is it won't look stock. I can go iron or aluminum, I like the look of aluminum but then you have to go to rectangle ports.
As you can see is I need a lot of help here but the great thing is I don't have any of it yet and have a goal, I just need your help to reach it. Of course, I do have to be resonable on how much I spend on this thing.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 05, 08:18 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Re: 454 new buildup openions needed

Here are some thoughts from a recent 454 buildup of my own:

1. make sure block/crank/rods are in good shape..no cracks,etc.
2. heads..049's are a good choice, but a number of the open chamber models will do well with some work. 2.19/1.88 valves, hardened seats, good guides and a performance valve job. the oval port heads are the way to got for a high torque street motor. bb heads respond well to improvements on the exhaust side.
3.intake manifold is tough because GM didn't really offer a hi-perf aluminum model for oval port heads. Weiand makes a manifold called the "stealth", looks very near stock. paint it orange and grind off the name and most car nuts won't know.
4. cams are like opinions everybody has one they like. hyd rollers are nice if you can swing the dough. you should figure on hyd for the street, 550-580 lift go easy on the duration. if you like the sound of solids then the 163 cam 396/375hp blueprint model from Crane is a good choice. you could then save the paint on that manifold and have the L78/L72 look. some folks even run the 163 intake on oval port heads with decent results..I would probably stay with the stealth though
5. compression should probably be no more than 10.5 or you are going to have fuel issues. setting up the piston/head/cam combo to deal with using pump gas is important
6. that LS-6 454/425 you mentioned used a square port open chamber head according to colvins book. big chamber....118cc..the factory alum heads 074 would also be an option..but that brings you back to square ports
7. rear gears for the street without o/d should probably stay around 3.55 to 3.73 depending on your highway needs.
8. trans should be setup for hd use by a good shop..converter around 2000-2200 should be enough
9. pick a reputable shop for the engine work..the power and reliability are in the details..get referrals, ask questions, check out some similar engines they have done.
10. these are just some general ideas, others will have more to offer....hope this helps a little

wilma

02 Berger 380hp 6spd red/white conv/Lots of L78 Novas.....69 SS350 Camaro..Karen's new addition!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 05, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I think you have very realistic goals that should be sure easy to reach. 450 HP from 454 or 468 cubic inches is a snap.

I am not a big block guy, but do know that oval ports are indeed the way to go for what you are doing. Maybe have a bowl blend done to them.

Your engine builder sounds pretty sharp so maybe just ask him about a cam.

Edelbrock makes a Performer 2-O intake that is for oval port heads. It's not the RPM model so it should be the same height as stock and fit under you flat hood.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 05, 09:37 AM

I have a set of good oval ports, casting 781 with a mild pocket port, larger valves 219 188, original 119cc but cut down to 108cc, on a very streetable 9.44:1 comp. 476 BBC pushed my 1979 T/A through the 1/4 at best 11.77 at 116 mph with a best 60' 1.8.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 05, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I built one of these engines about 4 years ago. Same 2-bolt main block as you, I had the 049 iron oval-port heads with the smaller stock valves, Ebelbrock Performer RPM intake, 850 double-pumper, Comp Cams XE274 hydraulic (not roller), 10:1 TRW pistons (I have exact piston part number buried somewhere), cast crank and not much else. It was a pretty basic engine.

I had the engine assembled and dyno'd at a local race engine shop and the engine made 480hp with 540 torque. It was a real driver with nice manners and just a little chop to the idle. The shop said I coulda got another 20 to 30 hp if I had put the bigger valves in the heads.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
I built one of these engines about 4 years ago. Same 2-bolt main block as you, I had the 049 iron oval-port heads with the smaller stock valves, Ebelbrock Performer RPM intake, 850 double-pumper, Comp Cams XE274 hydraulic (not roller), 10:1 TRW pistons (I have exact piston part number buried somewhere), cast crank and not much else. It was a pretty basic engine.

I had the engine assembled and dyno'd at a local race engine shop and the engine made 480hp with 540 torque. It was a real driver with nice manners and just a little chop to the idle. The shop said I coulda got another 20 to 30 hp if I had put the bigger valves in the heads.

This is great information. That is exactly like what I want to do. I need a different intake. Does anyone know anything about the GM intake 12363407 that comes on some of the 502's? It looks like what I need and it would still be a GM part.
Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 05, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC T/A
I have a set of good oval ports, casting 781 with a mild pocket port, larger valves 219 188, original 119cc but cut down to 108cc, on a very streetable 9.44:1 comp. 476 BBC pushed my 1979 T/A through the 1/4 at best 11.77 at 116 mph with a best 60' 1.8.
It looks like 781 would do the trick too. Do you know how much all that cost to do on your heads? Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 05, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode